Kate's Reviews > Naïve. Super

Naïve. Super by Erlend Loe

Feb 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

(Not sure I'm going to be finishing this one. It would have been much better if I had read it when I was going through my own mid-20s self-torture saga. Also, the translation from Norwegian is clunky and that can ruin the best piece of literature.)

This actually turned out to be a little gem of a book. I still wish I had read it when I was younger. I could have used his two techniques to get him through his period of feeling everything is meaningless and his problems with Time: throwing a ball against a wall and hammering on a Brio hammer-and-peg toy.

Things very slowly lighten up for him through the book and culminate with a trip to visit his brother in New York to help him gain Perspective. I breezed through the end of the novel partly because the mood got a little less morose and partly because the author actually printed the New York Public Library catalog results pages from an episode where the narrator and his brother search for authors whose names are dirty Norwegian words. Pages and pages of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naïve. Super.