Jennifer Johnson's Reviews > My Life in France

My Life in France by Julia Child

2021711
Feb 12, 2009

Read from February 23 to March 20, 2012

I really enjoyed this book- and I was so worried that I wouldn't. I admit it starts off a little dry, but the author, (this book is ghost written by Julia's grand-nephew, but he took great care to be honest and true to her voice), has a way of capturing the joy Julia felt, whether it was in Paris, writing her cookbook or just learning new things. Julia doesn't mince words, she's matter of fact, if she likes it, she likes it, if she doesn't, she'll tell you.

What I most enjoyed about this book is the obvious love she and her husband Paul shared. They were a great couple, but even more so a complimentary team. So often people will tell you the negatives about their relationships- it's so nice to read about their mutual fondness for each other as well they supported each other's work.

This was just a pleasant, read- I'd recommend it anyone who romanticizes Paris or enjoys food. Julia is funny and charming and matter of fact in her opinions and she was a delight to spend a few weeks with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in France.

02/26/2012 page 50
16.0% "How funny. This is my bedside table book- I also am reading a kindle book "the Paris Wife" about Ernest Hemingway and his first wife Hadley. Julia has just mentioned that she socializes with Hadley and her 2nd husband! Go figure!"
02/28/2012 page 85
27.0% "Julia is quite funny"
show 1 hidden update…