Manny's Reviews > Vox

Feb 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts, well-i-think-its-funny, pooh-dante
Read in July, 2000

There's such a diversity of opinions concerning this book that I can't bring myself to take sides. Instead, I present

Your cut-out-and-keep do-it-yourself Vox reviewing kit

This (ground-breaking/tedious/overhyped/short) novel does for phone sex what (Last Tango in Paris/Lady Chatterley's Lover/Death in the Afternoon/The Bell Jar/Ben Hur) did for (sodomy/gamekeepers/bullfighting/suicide/chariot-racing).

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vox.

03/23/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor This is a master work - the review that is. Thank you.

Manny Hey thank you! Though I just ripped off the idea from Mad magazine, if that wasn't apparent :)

message 3: by Trevor (new)

Trevor I'm not very good at pop culture, in future you should just take the credit - I'll never know.

Manny After the Ginnie scandal, one just can't be too careful. I kept meaning to credit Alfred E. Neuman but forgot. Thank you for reminding me :)

message 5: by Brad (new)

Brad Regardless of the inspiration, a brilliantly funny review.

message 6: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Terrific, Manny.

notgettingenough Manny wrote: "Hey thank you! Though I just ripped off the idea from Mad magazine, if that wasn't apparent :)
"

I don't think you have to admit that. This is so funny. And so much safer than the time I did it.

At my national open teams, years ago I was playing with Peter Selby, a top poker player who was technically ignorant at bridge. My team had an expression for doing anything on the dumb side. 'Sorry, I Selbyed it'. Peter was sporting to a point, the point being Wednesday evening.

Now, the NOT is a long, long, long event, 14 round qualifying for 16 into the finals at the time. Wed night is the half-way point and it is also well-known as the breaking point. The point at which tempers are lost and hopes dashed, all for no good reason as there is so much of the event to go. Still, it's that point all the same.

One of my teammates at the evening scoreup apologised for Selbying something and Peter lost it bigtime. He was sick of being the butt, blah blah blah blah blah, he insisted he was going home the next day. There were only the four of us, so that wouldn't do at all.

Well, I stayed up for ages that night making just such a form as your review. I'm sorry for (a) (b) (c) (d), which I did because (a) (b) (c) (d) etc etc etc. It permitted, among other things, George the Cypriot to make a gracious apology to Peter the Hungarian.

It was, in my opinon, a masterful form which I fully intended to copyright and sell, thinking that on that evil Wednesday night for many years to come, they'd be queuing up for a copy. What team, what partnership could afford to be without one?

All in all I thought it was quite one of my better money-making schemes, but, alas, it never got off the ground. George, displaying a remarkably Greek (considering he was a Cypriot) lack of trust, declined to use the form at all. He grovelled in some undignified way of his own making...which I have to admit did the job. Peter stayed and together this team failed yet again to get to the finals. I never quite understood why.

message 8: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian "Marvin" Graye I couldn't work out whether it (the book) was ingenious or ingenuous.
I like trying to mix and match Manny's lists of alternatives.
I've even tried to do it blind-folded.
But, like the book, it gets claustrophobic after a while.
It's so much like pin the tale on the donk, he can't have contemplated what he would start.

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Love it! You should branch out and provide this service for other loved it/hated it books! Suggestion: Eat/Pray/Love [hated it...].

Manny Thank you Meredith! I haven't yet had the dubious pleasure of reading Eat, Pray, Love. But if I do, I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind :)

message 11: by Cecily (new) - added it

Cecily I read this review years ago, but perhaps it lodged in my subconscious, because I found myself similarly conflicted (but not as entertainingly as you).