Van (Short & Sweet Reviews)'s Reviews > Ghost Planet

Ghost Planet by Sharon Lynn Fisher

Nov 21, 2012

Read from November 21 to 24, 2012

4 1/2 stars.

I don’t remember the last time I read such an imaginative and enjoyable science-fiction novel, or actually a blend of equal parts science-fiction and romance. I love the concept of Ghost Planet where every colonist that lives on Ardagh 1 ( kind of like a copy of earth) has a ghost ‘alien’ that’s bonded with them in the form of a dead person they once knew. Elizabeth Cole accepted a job on Ardagh 1 to get as far away from her ex-fiancé as possible. Upon arriving she meets her boss, an incredibly handsome Irish man who helped launch the Ghost Protocol. Murphy explains the rule of Ghost Protocol to Elizabeth, stating that a colonist and their ghost ca never talk or interact with one another…it’s against the law. On the night of Elizabeth’s arrival she discover she’s a ghost, that she really died on the way to Ardagh 1 and that she’s become Murphy’s ghost. Both Murphy and Elizabeth must find out how this all happened and at the same time fight their attraction to one another.

This is an excellent debut novel; Mrs. Fisher created a believable-realistic group of characters and the world in which they inhabit. It was easy to follow and understand how Ardagh 1 worked, and even though the ghost ‘alien’ are a reincarnation of the former self, they are no different than the colonist or when one was alive. When I first read it, I actually thought they were “like” a ghost, where no one can see them really but, they are just like any human. They still act like their former self; they still have their memories, eat regular food, feel emotions and procreate. I love Elizabeth. When she found out she’s a ghost, she was sad but just for a moment. She was determine to find out how to live with being a ghost, more about the ghost protocol, and if there is a way to “detach” from Murphy. She’s a headstrong woman, and don’t let her being a psychologist fool you…she can totally kick butt and get her hands dirty.

This is a debut novel not to be missed; I highly recommend it to all Sci-fi/Romance fans, and if anyone ever seen the movie THE ISLAND (has almost the same feel). The world that Mrs. Fisher created is so original and fascinating that it will keep you glued to the pages till you finish! I definitely will be checking out future works of Mrs. Fisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Planet.