Rachel's Reviews > Confessions of a Video Vixen

F 50x66
Feb 11, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: memoirs

I know it's trashy to like groupie memoirs. But I do. I've read a few of them.
This is far and away the worst of them. First of all, Steffans tries to identify herself as a "video vixen" but then reveals in the book that most women in music videos are actually professional models and have little to do with the hip hop social scene.
I would almost never call a woman a slut. I think it endorses a really sexist idea of women's sexuality. This book really stretched my beliefs though. Steffans tries to make it sound like she had relationships with a lot of famous hip hop stars and athletes but when she gets down to the details she mainly slept with them, sometimes in exchange for financial support.
She says this book is a cautionary tale but it comes off more like she's bragging, which she has no reason to because every man in this book just uses her and dumps her. She also has a young son who it seems that she abandons for weeks at a time when she's partying. Ick.
Near the end I thought she might be making things up. She says she had an affair with Vin Diesel and he is very widely rumored to be a homosexual. Suspicious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Video Vixen.

Finished Reading