Sunny's Reviews > Breakout

Breakout by Ann Aguirre

bookshelves: a-1-favorites-scifi-dystopian, a-scifi-dystopian

The Sirantha Jax series by Ann Aguirre is one of my favorite odysseys of all time. It left an indelible imprint on my reading life. So when the author started the Dred Chronicles, I was beyond excited. I’ve tore through the first two books, savoring the stories and waited with great anticipation for the final book in the trilogy. This book is everything I wanted it to be and then some.

We return to Perdition, a prison outpost located in the outer edges of the galaxy. Perdition houses the worst of the worst criminals. The prisoners are beyond warehousing, they are incarcerated and then forgotten. They have created factions along with social and political norms. As in most prisons, there is a informal hierarchy and each inmate must choose a faction for protection and survival. The conglomerate has sent a troop of mercenaries to take back the prison by any means necessary. Now the prisoners are not only fighting each other but are now facing a single-minded, deadly special ops force. Situations change and alliances are re-formed. At the end of Havoc, there only a few people left and it is race to get off the outpost.

The action and suspense is wound very tight. In the confines of the prison, there is a sense of claustrophobia. There is no place to escape to. As a reader, you can feel the walls closing in. Tension spikes as survivors are running out of time. Silence’s deadly crew stalks them. This is an exciting page-turner with finger-nail biting stress.

I had a certain amount of dread (no pun intended) when reading this book. Ann Aguirre can be unpredictable. She is not shy about unexpectedly killing off her characters. I’m the kind of reader that gets emotionally invested and thus, fear for their lives. You can always expect the unexpected. It is what makes Ann Aguirre such a great storyteller and this story so compelling. (On a side note, there is a happy ending.)

The Epilogue is my favorite part. Throughout the Dred Chronicles, the narrative is told mainly from Dresdemona’s point-of-view. Her strong character - her struggles, her justifications, her redemption - is a highlight of the series. However, for Sirantha Jax fans, the epilogue is about Jael. It brings his story full circle to a very satisfying end. And here’s a shout out to my friends at Girls, Guns & Grimoires on Goodreads. There is a game changer for Team March and Team Vel. Make sure to read this series!

IN A NUTSHELL:
Breakout is another successful and satisfying ending to a highly suspenseful science fiction trilogy. Consider it a cross between the movies,The Longest Yard and Aliens, with a large dose of romance. Could it be any better? I don’t think so!

Originally posted at Love Affair with an e-Reader

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakout.

November 21, 2012 – Shelved