Nancy's Reviews > Under the Tuscan Sun

Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes

1956252
Feb 10, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: western-europe, travel, memoir, food
Read in October, 2001

This is about a University professor from San Francisco who is in a new relationship after a divorce. She falls in love with the Tuscan countryside after spending several summers there. She and her significant other decide to buy and renovate an old house that has been standing vacant for years. I was glad I read it because I learned a lot about the Italian culture, but it didn’t absorb me like a good novel. It’s a book you can read for a couple of hours and put down and not pick up again for several days. I was disappointed that she didn’t include some photographs and was also surprised that she didn’t become involved with the local people on a social level, but just to hire them to do projects for her. Simply put, I suggest you skip this one unless you're really interested in: a. Italy, b. Food, or c. Travel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Tuscan Sun.

message 1: by Brendan (new)

Brendan O'sullivan I have read a number of books about Italy but found this a bit dull.

message 2: by Brendan (new)

message 3: by Brendan (new)