Dona's Reviews > The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

liked it
bookshelves: bookgroup-read

I started this book in 2009 for bookgroup and couldn't get into it. I wanted to read it and I wanted to like it (probably because I like hedgehogs) but neither of the main characters whose thoughts are alternately revealed held my attention. I'm not a student of philosophy and didn't like that aspect at all.

I picked it up again since it had been on my to-read list for a while and one of my reading goals this year is to read books I own that our bookgroup read and I didn't (which is a lot more than I care to admit).

The last part of the book was very good, though, and I did enjoy that enough to think the slog of the first three quarters might be worth it. If the whole book were as good as the last several dozen pages it would have been a 5-star book.

If someday I have an opening for a book (ha!) I might even read this book's companion piece (Gourmet Rhapsody) about the food critic who lives in the apartment building where the main characters also live.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

February 10, 2009 – Shelved