Emma Louise's Reviews > The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

did not like it
bookshelves: not-my-thing, forgettable, gave-up-on, library-or-borrowed

I can't deal with vapid, insensitive and selfish girls like this. Sure they're immature 16/17 year olds, but I just can't deal with the plot in this book. It is not as cute and fluffy as the title makes out. I would think a Lonely Hearts Club would just be a nice little club of people who'd been heartbroken and need someone to talk to, but no, it's a group of gossipy, vain girls who have sworn off dating after a few guys were rotten to them, thus labelling all guys as pigs, morons etc.

What was also unbelievable and stupid in this book was the character of Tracy. I cannot believe this girl actually had a list of guys she wanted to date that year. Like she spent her entire summer thinking of potential candidates to date. And she would cross them off as she realised one had a bad haircut, one worked at a fast food restaurant, and all these other superficial reasons NOT to date someone. So not only is the idea of a 16 year old girl spending her summer devising a massive list of people she wants to date (as in, date all of them on the list), but is turned off by the most mundane things like a haircut. I couldn't deal with it.

I am dumbfounded by the way some girls behave already, and then a book like this comes along, practically telling readers (who I'm assuming would be girls of the same age) that it's okay to treat people this way. It's okay to judge everyone based on how they look. It's okay to label all men as gross and disgusting after one boy hurt you.

I didn't get to any sort of conclusion or realisation in this book, because I couldn't stand it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Hearts Club.

November 19, 2012 – Started Reading
November 19, 2012 – Shelved
November 19, 2012 –
page 21
November 19, 2012 –
page 33
11.38% "I'm going to preemptively say this because I'm keen to see if the book addresses this or not, but it really bugs me when girls are adamant that all men are the same. They've been hurt a few times and label every other man on the planet a selfish pig. When girls do this, it seems the general lashback is further women going 'YEAH' in support. If a guy was to say 'all girls are sluts' then it would be a different story."
November 20, 2012 –
page 61
21.03% "This book is really disappointing so far. It's all about how boys have hurt them and blah blah blah, and these girls are really judgemental and bitchy too."
November 20, 2012 – Shelved as: not-my-thing
November 20, 2012 – Shelved as: gave-up-on
November 20, 2012 – Shelved as: forgettable
November 20, 2012 – Shelved as: library-or-borrowed
November 20, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz Chapman Yeah, I feel ya. I kind of stuck with it for a while because I was thinking "Maybe some of them will grow and change into more full and empowered people!" But I lost patience.

message 2: by Emma (new) - rated it 1 star

Emma Louise Liz wrote: "Yeah, I feel ya. I kind of stuck with it for a while because I was thinking "Maybe some of them will grow and change into more full and empowered people!" But I lost patience."

That is exactly where the book fell flat - no resolution of anything and zero development of characters.

message 3: by Aye (new) - rated it 1 star

Aye Bornio Amen! Editors have really horrible ways to fill book stores now-a-days