Danika's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

12982077
Nov 18, 2012

Recommended to Danika by: Myself :)
Recommended for: Anyone, except people who are disturbed easily

This book made me (somewhat) understand the horrors of living with a eating disorder like anorexia. I was heartbroken by Lia and Cassie's story, and so moved by it that I wanted to cry my eyes out when I was reading it (don't worry, I restrained myself). However, this was an extremely emotional book for me. I have never really cried while reading a book, and you know what, this just about did it because there were tears. Wintergirls is hauntingly disturbing, sometimes a touch grotesque, but very powerful. Very, very powerful. Lia's voice and constant struggle helped me also to understand the eating disorder. Before reading this, I thought eating disorders were about looking pretty or fear of being fat. But that's not really it. What it's really about is having something, anything, in their control, something that the person with the disorder can monitor and change at their own will.

I did like the crossed out words or phrases and other specific ways of writing, as well as tracking the calories of each food, but sometimes I found that they were distracting and took away from the book.

Overall, a highly disturbing but very powerful, moving read that I think everyone should experience.

4/5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.

November 18, 2012 – Shelved
January 25, 2013 – Started Reading
January 27, 2013 –
page 113
40.65% "It's horrible this happens to people. This book is very powerful."
January 29, 2013 –
page 139
January 29, 2013 – Finished Reading

Brianna I'm excited to see how it goes!

Danika :) Thanks! Haven't read anything but comics for the past 5 days! So unlike me! :P

Brianna I want to see a rating!!! Please. *begging face*