Dianna's Reviews > Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity

Getting Things Done by David    Allen

Feb 09, 2009

Recall the last time you went on a significant vacation from work: before you left you cleared all your to-dos, emptied your inbox, tied all the loose ends, and organized the things you'd tackle when you came back. Felt pretty good to leave that last day, right?

David Allen teaches you how to live your life this way: take all your to-dos, projects, etc. then organize them out into Projects, Next Actions, Someday/Maybe projects, Read and Review, and more if you want. Take the Next Actions and either do them, defer them, delegate them, and/or delete them. It's really that logical and that simple. Now, make a weekly habit of reviewing all those categories. Now you're "GTD".

Just like it ought to, the book starts out broad, then each chapter goes into more detail of the system. Unless you're some crazy detail-loving mogul, you only need to read about to the half-way mark. I went a bit further just because I loved it so much. For about three weeks now, it's worked for me both at work and more loosely at home.

The chapter on organizing your email and keeping your inbox empty is BRILLIANT! If you want to see this book in action, I'll show you my email and desk. I recommend this book to just about everyone.

Read the first chapter. I probably only buy 3-4 books a year -- usually because the library doesn't own it, but I bought this one after reading the first chapter in the library's copy. I knew I'd want my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Things Done.

02/12/2009 page 61
22.85% "I only got to about page 25 when I decided I needed to get my butt to Borders and buy it for myself. Most useful book I've ever read so far."
02/23/2009 page 163
61.05% "Pure genius. I'm reading it at work, because I'm immediately applying it to my job. Brilliant."
04/24/2016 marked as: read