Emily May's Reviews > Black City

Black City by Elizabeth  Richards

bookshelves: dnf, young-adult, paranormal-uf, coverly-love

I think I've permanently damaged my eyeballs from rolling them so much.

It seems like I can't get into anything lately, I've read so many new releases to about chapter five and then I have to give up. The only good thing about this book is that my expectations were low as they now are with every book marketed as a dystopia - which, to be honest, this just isn't a dystopia in any sense of the word. For one, it's mostly a love story, but I'm not too upset about that because I received fair warning of it in the GR description - I just had my fingers crossed that it wouldn't be another annoying, cliche, insta-love story (apparently, this doesn't actually work).

For another, it's more of a dark fantasy/urban fantasy than a dystopia - the world reminded me somewhat of Ixion in Burn Bright - with the only hints of the latter being in the similarities between this world and Cold War Berlin where the city is split by a wall that separates humans and darklings (vampires, basically). Apart from this rather intriguing world, everything else from the characters to the plot to the love story were lacking in originality. I think I even recognise some scenes from popular series like Harry Potter and Twilight.

"I can make my own mind up about who the 'right type of people' are," Natalie snaps."I'm already getting a pretty good idea of who I want to avoid."

I seen this before!

And the love story makes me cringe, it's so... typical. So cheesy. So annoying. The guy's an asshole who more or less tells Natalie that he's glad her father's dead and she's all "but he's soooo hot". Give me a break, would ya?

I was reading this on my laptop in Adobe Digital Editions when my housemate came walking in and started reading the page I was on over my shoulder. She then began reading it out loud in a breathy voice and putting emphasis on certain words... well, how I wish I had recorded it and could put audio files in this review. What had been slowly getting more and more annoying to me finally hit breaking point when she voiced some of these ridiculous lines out loud. After hearing this spoken I decided I'd had enough:

He's changed out of his school uniform and is now wearing dark trousers, leather work boots and a fitted black shirt that accentuates every inch of his powerful, muscular, frame. He looks at me, into me, like he can see every secret I have, every rush of my blood. My pulse races with fear and a much more unexpected, disturbing emotion: desire. I turn away, horrified at my body's reaction to him. It's sick and irrational. He's a darkling, a predator that would gladly rip my throat out, given the slightest provocation. Then why are my cheeks burning so red? I'm just hot from the fire, that's all.

Oh gawwwwddd. Really? Does everyone else have this problem that they can't tell the difference between genuine heat and horniness? Is no one else nauseated already by this same old "no, no, I mustn't, it's wrong" while the heroines are simultaneously fanning themselves with desire? I'm done with this silliness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black City.

November 17, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Eyehavenofilter I warned you all.... But ya didn't listen.... Maybe next time you'll pay attention to my reviews?

message 2: by Kyle (last edited Nov 17, 2012 01:55PM) (new)

Kyle That last excerpt just made me laugh. Definitely taking this off my TBR.

message 3: by RAB (new)

RAB Rarely have I read a review so true. Even though I have never read the book I know exactly what you mean and could almost imagine it in its entirety. I won't pick up this book anytime soon (maybe when I'm in the mood for a twilight I haven't read yet).

shady boots | #WatchPOSE Dang, that's disappointing, after the massive hype this book's garnered. :/

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle That's last transcription of your roommate's interpration of the prose had me laughing like a loon. Thank you for that.

And that quote similar to Harry Potter? That's unashamedly ripping it off.

message 6: by Chad (new)

Chad Sayban Two words - Chee Zee. Great review! I'll put it on my not-a-chance-in-hell list.

message 7: by Roselyn (new)

Roselyn And here I was thinking that this book would be amazing... Oh well. I think I might still give it a try though.

message 8: by Maya (new)

Maya your housemate sounds cool ;)

message 9: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Thanks for the comments everyone!

@Maya Yeah, she's insane but hilarious :)

Eva Rose I tried reading the Kindle sample, it was so awful that I quit in the middle of chapter 2. So many bad books going into the market, where are the good ones?

Eyehavenofilter Why don't you listen to me? I feel so left out? Is it my red hair?

message 12: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Ada-Lee wrote: "Why don't you listen to me? I feel so left out? Is it my red hair?"

Unfortunately, I didn't see your review :/

message 13: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Johnson may I suggest The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, Chime, The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I know these aren't Dystopian, but I see you've already read Under the Neve Sky and Blood Red Road!

message 14: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look :)

message 15: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Johnson I know it's tough being in a book slump! I felt that way after Chime, took a while to find something as brilliant. (this book takes a bit to get into. I almost didn't get past chapter five. But keep going!) I'm currently reading Days of Blood and Starlight. Such writing!

Danielle. "You don't want to be seen with her sort, she's one of the Rise kids," he says to Natalie. "I'll set you up with the right type of people to know."

I seen this before!

Ha! So it wasn't my paranoia. I knew she got it from HP.

message 17: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May I noticed it immediately! I know that's not exactly a copyrighted few phrases or anything haha but I think most people are noticing the Harry Potter element straight away :)

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I hear you on the insta love. That doesn't always work. But then again, I get tired of chapter after chapter of pussy-footin' around too. It's hard to find a good balance.

message 19: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May That's true, but I like at least some sexual tension or natural development of attraction before they're declaring themselves madly in love. Or I just can't believe in their relationship :/

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Yep. I understand.

message 21: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Hall YES YES!!Finally THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING I WAS READING "Rebel spirits" and no development what so ever and guess what just instant love.
Typical boring love story. But I am sad I wanted to read this.Hey are there any suggestion for developed romance ?

message 22: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Angelfall!! 100%. I checked your GR shelves and it's not on there. I love that book! The author just gets that perfect balance between action and flirty banter, IMO :)

message 23: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Beck It doesn't call it dystopian, it calls it post-apocalyptic, and the only requirement of that is it being post-apocalypse.

message 24: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May I think requirements of genre are things people set personally. I would want a post-apocalyptic book to deliver more than simply starting after an apocalypse. I certainly wouldn't want it to be all teen romance.

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell When I came to that quote you referenced in your review, I giggled. Thanks for that, Emily. XD

I agree - I was disappointed by this one as well. Definitely eye-roll worthy, which is a shame, because vampire books are something I'm predisposed to like.