Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)'s Reviews > The Chronicles of Downton Abbey: A New Era

The Chronicles of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes

I never really got into Downton Abbey until the latest series, but now I am an absolutely huge fan. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get into it, but thankfully this book has been released and so now I can read up on what I've missed!

When The Chronicles of Downton Abbey arrived, like any Downton fan, I was so excited to have a copy in my hands! After just a quick flick through, I already knew that I loved this book. I couldn't wait to have a better look at it. This is the 'official companion' to all three seasons and gives us an in-depth look at the main characters who inhabit the Downton estate. This book is not a story, but a 'chronicle' of fictional characters.

There are a lot of different characters explored in this book, from both upstairs in the lavish house and downstairs in the servants' quarters. The character description goes into great depth, it seems that nothing has been left out and through learning about one character, we also get to learn about others and of the general happenings of the estate. I'm sure that even if you haven't missed an episode, there is a whole lot more to learn about the much loved characters, yet it doesn't give too much away if you haven't seen the whole series yet. There are a lot of interesting historical facts added in to this, as expected, which adds even more realism to the Downton story. The characters' factual history and emotions are both explored well.

Alongside all of the fascinating information, this book is presented beautifully. The interesting facts are illustrated with images of on-set props and gorgeous photographs from the television series - to simply look at the pictures in this is a real treat. You could easily revisit any section of this book again and again without getting bored.

As you can probably tell, I really enjoyed this book! If you know anyone who likes Downton Abbey, do buy them this for Christmas - it truly is a perfect gift for any fan. If you are interested in this period of history, this may also be for you, or even if you just want to see what all the fuss is about - I doubt you will be disappointed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronicles of Downton Abbey.

Started Reading
November 17, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012
November 17, 2012 – Shelved as: realistic-fiction
November 17, 2012 – Shelved as: cover-appeal
November 17, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Great review! I adore Downton, so I will be sure to read this! :)

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Hi, if you love Downton Abbey, feel free to join my group: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/8...