Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) 's Reviews > The False Prince

The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

bookshelves: sounds-amazing, audiobook, favorites

More reviews can be seen on Boricuan Bookworms

In a divided and discontent kingdom, the only hope is to find the long-lost prince Jaron, the only heir to the throne. When a nobleman of the court takes three orphans from their “homes” and plans to make one of them into the Prince, he recruits a cunning and defiant boy named Sage. Sage is the boy who least has a shot in to be the Prince, but he knows that if he doesn’t get chosen, he will most certainly be killed. In comes a dangerous game where every day could be his last, where secrets and conspiracies are hiding beneath the surface. Sage must use his cunning skills to his advantage, if he doesn’t want to lose the game… and his life.

This story is one of the most wonderfully written stories I’ve read in a long time! It has a wonderful “slow-burn” kind of pace, but it’s wonderful.

The book is set in Carthya, a rundown kingdom whose enemies are slowly closing in. The world-building was completely believable! I could totally imagine myself in that place and in that time.

What I really loved the most was Sage. Sage was like the Sherlock Holmes of the story. He was always one-upping everyone. You thought you had him figured out, and then BAM! He surprised you again. I am totally in love with Sage. (Is it wrong to be swooning over a 14 year old when I’m 18? sigh) This mainly has to do with the fact that I “read” the audiobook, and Sage’s narrator was AH-MAY-ZING. He sounded so mature, but at the same time had a hint of mischief and innocence. I loved that about him. Sage is one of the most wonderful heroes I’ve read about in a long time.

This book also has some sweet, yet subtle romance. When I say subtle, I mean about a 3% romance, but what romance there is, it’s absolutely smile inducing and reinforces the general swoon over Sage. I’m glad that the romance doesn’t overtake the plot, because this plot is so complex.

This book teaches us that the most courageous heroes arise from the most unusual situations. It teaches us how important we are, regardless of our status or education.
“A person can be educated and still be stupid, and a wise man can have no education at all.”
―  Jennifer A. Nielsen , The False Prince

You think that the book is going in one direction, but suddenly there’s this twist that you weren’t expecting and it takes you somewhere else. This book is classified as middle grade, but I guarantee you that this is appropriate for adults as well. There’s action around every corner, lies, deceit, romance, suspense, mystery… this book has it all.

Overall, if you want a story that basically has it all, with wonderful characters and an amazing storyline, then you should definitely pick this one up.

Rating: 4.5 Stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Prince.

November 17, 2012 – Shelved
October 23, 2013 – Started Reading
October 23, 2013 – Shelved as: sounds-amazing
October 23, 2013 – Shelved as: audiobook
75.0% "holy shit!"
80.0% "WHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHAT?! MOTHEROFGOD"
November 4, 2013 –
85.0% "OHMYGODDDDDDD I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, YET SHIT! I DIDNT EXPECT IT TO COME UP. OHMYGODDDDDDDD."
November 4, 2013 –
100.0% "OhmyGod that was amaazing! I seriously want to read the next one now!"
November 4, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites