Elaine's Reviews > The Silver Linings Playbook

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

it was ok
bookshelves: cover-lust, book-to-screen, adult, contemporary, own, 2013-reads, kindle

Also posted on rabbitsfortea

Warning: This book will spoil some classics if you have yet to read them.

1. The Scarlet Letter
2. The Great Gatsby
3. A Farewell to Arms
4. The Catcher in the Rye
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
6. The Bell Jar

Alright, consider yourselves warned, now onward to my short review.

Silver Linings is one of those books that I wouldn't normally pick up and probably wouldn't if not for wanting to read it before I watch the movie. From the trailer, I expected a pretty light hearted book with quirky characters but what I got was really different, although not entirely in a bad way.

There were chapters that made me smile and chapters that made me teared but at the end of the day, I don't love this book. I saw a review on Goodreads saying that Silver Linings is like an adult Perks and I guess I do agree a little. So it's probably the case of 'it's not you, it's me' for this since I didn't exactly love Perks either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Linings Playbook.

November 17, 2012 – Shelved
December 13, 2012 – Shelved as: cover-lust
January 12, 2013 – Started Reading
January 12, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
January 12, 2013 – Shelved as: adult
January 12, 2013 – Shelved as: own
January 12, 2013 – Shelved as: book-to-screen
January 12, 2013 –
4.0% "Bought the book but it STILL hasn't arrived. Starting it anyway since the movie is already out in my country and my friends and I want to watch it!"
January 12, 2013 –
42.0% "This really reminds me of Perks, but definitely less hipster."
January 13, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-reads
January 13, 2013 – Shelved as: kindle
January 13, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

message 1: by Wan (new)

Wan You didn't like Perks either?! I felt forever alone for awhile.

Elaine Wan wrote: "You didn't like Perks either?! I felt forever alone for awhile."

I'm not exactly done with it, but I just feel horribly detached from the characters. I know A LOT of people love it, but I don't think it's for me, so YAY for us, hah.

I did like the quotes though.

message 3: by Leanna (new)

Leanna I didn't realize this was being nominated for an Oscar?? I hadn't heard any buzz about it beforehand... but maybe I'm out of the loop

Stacia (the 2010 club) I have this book but haven't been in a big hurry to read it for some reason. Interesting to find out that it spoils some classics though!

Elaine Leanna wrote: "I didn't realize this was being nominated for an Oscar?? I hadn't heard any buzz about it beforehand... but maybe I'm out of the loop"

I think I chanced upon the trailer on youtube cos I was watching some Jennifer Lawrence videos and the main reason why I picked up this book was because I wanted to watch another of her movie, LOL. I didn't know it was nominated either!

Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "I have this book but haven't been in a big hurry to read it for some reason. Interesting to find out that it spoils some classics though!"

I KNOW. I was like, omg. I was actually planning to read the first and third. I was rushing to read it mainly because I want to get to the book before I watched the movie. But after reading it, I find that it's pretty different from the movie.

Mandor Liked, for the warnings listed.

Elaine Mandy wrote: "Liked, for the warnings listed."

Elaine Kim wrote: "It also spoils The Great Gatsby."

Ahh, thanks for the reminder

message 9: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra It really spoils all those books?? Such a bummer! I really want to read this book but have a few classics on that list to read too! Thanks for the heads up!

Elaine Alexandra wrote: "It really spoils all those books?? Such a bummer! I really want to read this book but have a few classics on that list to read too! Thanks for the heads up!"

Unfortunately, yes. And it's the kinda spoilers that just hit you in the face cos Pat basically summarizes the book in 2-3 sentences.

message 11: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra wow i am really glad you said something!! I have two that I have been meaning to read so ill def be reading them before that book!!! Thank you so much for mentioning it!!!

Elaine No worries, I'm glad my review helped some one (:
Although I must say, I can understand why the author would put the spoilers in the book, but it would still be nice to have some warning, hah.

message 13: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra lol ya a lil warning is def a help!

Karen I completely agree about the spoilers; I've told everyone about them. Although I've read most of the books, I was really disappointed to know the ending of A Farewell to Arms.

Elaine I know right. I haven't read any except Huckleberry Finn so I was like -_-

Victor Alejandro Gregory I feel like I'm the only guy here. After watching this movie before my ex girlfriend broke up I promised myself to read this book. And right after the break up this book helped me out completely. I do agree this book spoil some books. But it was good since he used those books to reflect in them and move forward.

Elaine In a way, I get how the author found it necessary to 'spoil' the ending of these books and I didn't rate the book so because of the spoilers but I just felt that it would have been nice to know that it was going to happen. Regardless of the spoilers, this book was really just not for me but I'm glad you liked it and it actually helped you.

message 18: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Gotta add The Scarlet Letter to that list LOL I am listening to it on audiobook and all of a sudden he is giving the ending away lol dang it!

Barbara Not Tale of Two Cities...

Elaine Barbara wrote: "Not Tale of Two Cities..."

Sorry for that error. I wrote this review based on memory, so clearly my memory fails me. Thanks.

Alexandra: Will do, thanks for the reminder!

Alishan I didn't like Perks at all either. It was too vague and simple for my taste. I liked Silver Linings way better though, because the narrator was doing a lot more things than just crying from time to time.

Elaine I do agree that it definitely does a pretty good job with depression. But I felt that there was way too much football for me to digest and like I said, this is just not the book for me.

I very much prefer the movie to be quite honest.

Alishan I agree with the football issue as well. I was, literally, skipping pages whenever the football action was being described. Soccer would have been tolerable, because I can at least relate to its craze, but the discomfort with American Football must be universal as far as this book is concerned; particularly when you have grown men screaming "Ahhhhhhhhhh" in the middle of everything, and following it with forming letters with their bodies.

The other thing which I skipped are the spoilers of 3 novels. Thanks to your review, I was aware of what awaited me whenever a particular novel was being mentioned. I've read Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye (both sucked, although the writing of Gatsby was top-notch) so it didn't really matter with those two, but I couldn't avoid reading what Pat felt about the Bell Jar.

Elaine Like what Kim said, to each his own. Regardless of football nor soccer, it was just too monotonous for me to stomach.

Angel I wish I has read your review before diving into the book. I was planning on reading 'A Farewell to Arms' and 'The Great Gatsby'...I still am, but it's annoying that I already know the endings. Thanks a lot, Matthew Quick. He really should have included a spoiler page in the front of the book for those of us who haven't read such classics yet. Not everyone had the same required reading list in school.

I have to admit, though, that I am enjoying Silver Linings sans the spoilers.

Laura Hicks This book was awesome. I have no idea how any reader could be detached from Pat

Elaine Well, you can't expect everyone to agree on one single opinion (:

message 28: by Cori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cori I completely agree! I just watched the movie this weekend and I actually enjoyed the movie much more than the book. The book had better relationships and it was funny. But it's also a lot different than the book.

And yeah... I wish I would have seen your review before I read it, because I have never read The Great Gatsby and I was like aw man WTF!? Lol. But oh well

Brendan Ferraro Who care if you haven't read those books by now your never going to

message 30: by Luis (new) - rated it 5 stars

Luis Ortega 200 pages in and I'm really enjoying it. I feel really lucky that I've actually read all those classics. I would've been really disappointed if I hadn't.

Sushmit singh Just skip the part whenever Pat mentions a book and you will be fine.. I did the same..

Elaine I think most people won't know when they are reading it for the first time though.

message 33: by Jayson (new)

Jayson Dela pena @Alishian, he was crying all the time though...

message 34: by Isabel (new) - added it

Isabel Alcuaz hanks for adding the spoilers! I was looking for a list, having decided to stop reading until I get to some of the books he mentions. Too late for The Scarlet Letter and A Farewell to Arms though...

Elaine Isabel wrote: "hanks for adding the spoilers! I was looking for a list, having decided to stop reading until I get to some of the books he mentions. Too late for The Scarlet Letter and A Farewell to Arms though..."

I read this in a hurry because I wanted to get to it before watching the movie and so I basically spoilt all of the above books for myself... Glad my review has helped though :P

message 36: by Diana (new)

Diana Thanks for the warning,good thing Gatsby was the first because it is the only one I've read so far.

Edmund Davis-Quinn The little summaries didn't spoil the books that much for me, so inconsequential and I will forget them.

Sarah I haven't read a few of those - and they're on my list of things to read so that was a bit obnoxious.

message 39: by RJ (new) - added it

RJ wao really I started reading thiz, came here to put a status update & saw ur spoilerz alert ( thank God)...gonna definitely put thiz book on hold coz only know the ending of Great Gatsby :( waz looking forward to end thiz year with thiz one now hav to look for another in my Tbr list :(

Edmund Davis-Quinn remember that putting zs on things like this makes you look like an idiot. Thiz iz notz goodz Englisz.

Kitolson I also loved how a book this depressing could be funny. I agree with you "Perks of Being a Wallflower is completely different book about two completely different people that have a few things in common. I also agree about how unreliable Pat was, I found it very hard to relate to him myself.

Alice Oh my god I should've seen this before reading the book, I became so nervous every time Pat started saying things like "The ending where" this and this happens I have this mental struggle in which I don't want him to spoil me but then I don't want to skip ahead in case I miss something important >.<

message 43: by Jake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jake this is the adult perks. in my mind, both movies exceeded the books. never thought I'd say that. although, I wish perks would've included the"poem"

Joanie haha omg I may start on this soon and I never did see this review of yours! I've read everything on the list except #5 but I feel like I may never get to Huck so I'm okay. :P you're sweet for the warning though!

Joanie oops nvm I haven't read The Scarlet Letter either. guess I may not get to that one. I got a cheap copy of this book when the movie came out and flipping through it Pat's voice got me reading. did you end up seeing the movie?

Ellen Rory Page Wish I'd checked reviews before. I had read all the spoiled books except one - farewell to arms which I was planning to read over the summer! I would have read it first if I had seen your review.

Rachel I wish I read this before I started the book. I haven't read some of those classics..

message 48: by L A i N E Y (new)

L A i N E Y Urg i really hate when books do that! A lot of us haven't read all the classics why ruin them for us?!!

Ps. Thanks for the warning dear Elaine :))