Nikki 's Reviews > The Two Towers

The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

Nov 16, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, based-on-myth-saga-etc
Read 5 times. Last read November 15, 2012.

Faramiiiiir. <3

Um, I mean, I'm an adult with a degree and everything and I totally do not have crushes on fictional characters. Ahem.

The Two Towers, of course, involves a good helping of the Anglo-Saxon analogues, the Riders of Rohan, which is always interesting. I did spend some time wondering what Grima Wormtongue would have been like if he were like Gunnlaug Wormtongue of Norse saga: a skald instead of a counsellor, twisting the court with words in a different way... I do wish more people appreciated where the name comes from. It's not a simple Dickensian trick: it is a name that tells us about him, but it's not actually asking people to think of a worm as we might first assume, in the dirt and sliming and wriggling... rather, "worm" in Icelandic is also "dragon" and "serpent". We're seeing something more akin to Smaug, a cunning and dangerous mind. Picturing an earthworm is kind of missing the point -- although I'm sure that image is meant to be there too.

Anyway, especially enjoyed the Ents this time, thinking about the origin of those characters in Tolkien's mind -- eald enta geweorc; old work of giants -- and about Diana Wynne Jones' commentary on them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two Towers.

Hazel Mier Oh, it's not like we ALL don't have a crush on some fictional character. May I remind anyone about Augustus Waters. >:)

David Sarkies I thought Wormtongue (or should it be wyrmtongue - it sounds a lot more appropriate) was a heaps cool character, especially reading it the second time round.