Bettie's Reviews > Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives

Hitler and Stalin by Alan Bullock
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitler and Stalin.

November 15, 2012 – Shelved
November 16, 2012 – Started Reading
March 11, 2013 –
page 34
2.86% "34 of 1252: So, they were both choirboys..."
March 11, 2013 –
page 41
3.45% " Stalin at age 23(-ish)"
page 43
3.62% "Lenin suggested that Stalin \n should visit Vienna and acquaint himself with the programme which the \n Austrian socialists had worked out to deal with the national conflicts of \n the Habsburg Empire - the feature of Austrian social democracy which \n had done more than anything else to tum Hitler against its leaders."
page 43
3.62% " In June 1913, while Stalin was making his way to the Arctic, Hitler left Vienna and moved to Munich."
page 52
4.37% "CHAPTER THREE \n \n \n October Revolution, \n November Putsc/7 \n \n \n Stalin: 1917-1918 (aged 37—38 years) \n Hitler: 1918-1923 (aged 29-34 years)"
page 52
4.37% " Finland Station, Petrograd, 3rd April 1917"
page 52
4.37% "[image error] Members of one of the first detachments of the Red Guards, Petrograd, Autumn 1917: photographer unknown (image by HOBOPOCC, 2010)"
page 52
4.37% " Vladimir Ilyich Lenin, bewigged and cleanshaven to conceal his identity, Finland, 11 August 1917: photographer unknown (image by Direktor, 2010)"
page 52
4.37% " ast guards of the Winter Palace, awaiting Bolshevik advance, 7 November 1917: photographer unknown (image by HOBOPOCC, 2010)"
page 74
6.22% " Joseph Arthur Comte de Gobineau: developed the theory of the Aryan master race in his book An Essay on the Inequality of the Human Races (1853–1855)."
page 84
7.06% "Hitler and Lenin shared an insistence on the importance of \n winning the support of the masses with an equal insistence on the inability \n of the masses to organize themselves. For both Nazis and Communists \n they were a resource to be mobilized, not a membership to be represented."
page 98
8.24% " Tried for treason and condemned yet spent less than a year in gaol."
page 99
8.33% "T/Je General Secretary \n \n \n Stalin: 1918-1924 (aged 38-44 years) \n \n "
page 101
8.49% "[..] the three most impor- \n tant positions after Lenin’s were held by Jews — Trotsky, Zinoviev and \n Kamenev — and a fourth by a Georgian."
page 143
12.03% "21 January 1924,"
page 146
12.28% "The Creation of the Nazi Party \n \n \n Hitler: 1924-1930 (aged 35 —-41 years) \n \n \n I \n \n \n Exactly a month after Stalin’s ‘oath’ speech in the Bolshoi Theatre, on 26 \n February 1924, the trial for treason of Hitler and the other members of \n the unsuccessful Putsch opened in Munich."
page 152
12.78% "Like Stalin, Hitler was scornful of intellectuals, yet at the same time eager to establish his own intellectual authority. Stalin sought to do this \n in the Foundations of Leninism (published in the year Hitler was writing Mein Kampf)\n \n [bookcover:Mein Kampf|54270] versus [bookcover:The Foundations of Leninism|6329598]"
page 152
12.78% ""
page 175
14.72% "On 3-4 August 1929, Hitler staged the most impressive Party Con- \n gress yet, at Nuremberg, with thirty special trains bringing 200,000 \n members and sympathizers from all over Germany,"
page 187
15.73% "Lenin ’s Successor \n Stalin: 1924-1929 (aged 44—50 years) \n \n \n I \n \n \n During the period 1924—9 Stalin was as intent as Hitler on securing \n power and, like Hitler, saw the party as the means of achieving it. "
page 218
18.33% "In April 1927, Chiang Kai-shek turned on his Communist allies in \n Shanghai and massacred a large number of them. "
page 232
19.51% "Hitler: 1930-1933 (aged 41 -43 years) \n \n \n I \n \n \n The equivalent phase in Hitler’s career to Stalin's rise to power (1924- \n 9), which we have just traced, was September 1930 to 30 January 1933. 1930 Hitler in Munich "
page 234
19.68% " The Nazis attracted a large part of the church- going \n population in the Protestant parts of the country; much less in the Catholic \n areas (including Bavaria) until after Hitler came to power and signed the \n Concordat with the Vatican in the summer of 1933."
page 276
23.21% "START HERE IN APRIL: now I can have my holiday, birthday and Easter without worrying about this group read!"
April 6, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Bettie Bird Brian wrote: "Oh, I have this at home... been meaning to read it for quite a while. When will you read it? Wanna do a group read in the Spring? (say March?)"

The Ides would be good for such butchery
:O)

Bettie Bird Brian wrote: "Bettie wrote: "Bird Brian wrote: "Oh, I have this at home... been meaning to read it for quite a while. When will you read it? Wanna do a group read in the Spring? (say March?)"

The Ides would b..."

Brilliant! It will be fun and you are such a good host with these group thingies. I have been told that the subject is offered up explicitly so maybe snag some airline sick-bags beforehand.

We won't be first common-goaled group to meet on a March 15th.

heh

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I may join this buddy read.

Bettie Välkomman!

message 5: by Wanda (new)

Wanda I might, maybe, join in. I will have to think on it. This book could prove too unhealthy for a Pollyana such as I. Dear Bettie knows what I mean.

Bettie

Thanks Wanda - hope you are having a lovely Thanksgiving Celebration. I raise a cup of green tea in your direction...

SKÅL!

message 7: by Bettie (last edited Nov 22, 2012 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bettie Wanda wrote: "I might, maybe, join in. I will have to think on it. This book could prove too unhealthy for a Pollyana such as I. Dear Bettie knows what I mean."

HAH! we cross-posted. JUMP IN AND JOIN IN WANDAFUL

The more the merrier. Bird Brian is your host for this readalong and judging by past results he has proven himself to be brilliant in that rôle.

message 8: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Lovely Thamksgiving Day had all around. Good food and my dear boy. Tomorrow is another day home from work. Huzzah! Boy and I will go and take a view of Red Dawn (2012) remake. I would rather view Lincoln or Skyfall; however, it is all about the boy and his happiness.

I will see your green tea and raise you a chai tea.

Bettie P is at a Dream Hack weekend and he has just skyped me to say that the broadband is 11 times faster than our home connection so he is in, well, eleventh heaven really.

Our Young Men make us happy.

Goes off to search Red Dawn...

Did you have pecan pie? *drool*

message 10: by Wanda (new)

Wanda I will work on snagging a copy. Many used ones are available for under $1 US. I just hope I will not suffer nightmares from reading about these bully-boy ghouls.

Bettie Wanda wrote: "I will work on snagging a copy. Many used ones are available for under $1 US. I just hope I will not suffer nightmares from reading about these bully-boy ghouls."

I ordered you a book last night for your lead-up-to-Christmas curl-up evenings: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59...

message 12: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Wow! Thank you so much. It will fit in perfectly for my month of Christmas stories. I always read for-the-season for both Hallowe'en and Christmas. Yeah!

Bettie It is fun finding the right book for the right person.

:O)

message 14: by Wanda (new)

Wanda P's Dream Hack week-end sounds fun. My home internet is fast but I can only imagine the bullet train speed he must be experiencing.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Surely eventually my local library copy must become available...

message 16: by Bettie (last edited Mar 13, 2013 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bettie I can let you have a copy of my digi version - would you like?

ETA - sent via email

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I might not be able to make it work for my kindle (ereaders confuse me with their varying formats), though thank you very much.

Bettie Susanna wrote: "I might not be able to make it work for my kindle (ereaders confuse me with their varying formats), though thank you very much."

It doesn,t work on my nutty nuut - I am reading it on my laptop and when tired of that I go to the plinth to read the paper edition.

The digi does let me copy and paste - that's a plus!

Bettie Thanks Jeanette! As Gaeta so aptly puts it, a grim classic.
:O)

message 20: by Melki (new)

Melki Urk! Baby Hitler is creepy!

Bettie Melki wrote: "Urk! Baby Hitler is creepy!"

;OD
He got creepier by the year

message 22: by Wanda (new)

Wanda It is a shame about the group. I was hoping to be able to read through the comments once I was settled in new place and able to read the book.

Bettie Onwards and upwards... always