Amy's Reviews > I.D.

Feb 07, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: quick-picks-for-reluctant-readers
Read in January, 2009

I.D. is about an unhappy teen who finds a wallet. He tries to escape the troubles of his life by assuming someone elses idenity even though he knows it is wrong. Unfortunately, he fails to realize that this person might have a life that is worse than his and is eventually arrested for crimes that the person whose idenity he assumed commited.

The aspect of this work that would appeal the most to teens is that it is short. However, it will also appeal to teens because this teen is troubled, wants to run away, and thinks everyone elses life is easier than his.

This book addresses the lack of a lot of Developmental Assets, but it also addresses Honesty as the teen struggles to decide how far he should go in assuming the other persons identity. He obviously knows it is not the right choice even before he pays the price of being arrested for doing it.

The character is not totally believable, but there is a lot that has been added to try to make it more believable. The fact that the book is so short does not really give the author a lot of time for character development. The main character's constant worry about getting caught and going back and forth on his decisions to assume the identity add to his believablity.

I think it would be easiest to promote this book to teens by asking them how many people think their life is harder than most others. Human nature tends to make us think we have it the hardest and teens usually feel this way. Showing them the vision of the person who owns the wallet that the main character creates in his head and asking if they agree that he is correct.

4Q, 3P, J
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I.D..