Valerie's Reviews > When a Crocodile Eats the Sun: A Memoir of Africa

bookshelves: africa
Recommended to Valerie by: Bookshop Santa Cruz
Recommended for: Mark, Matt, Katharine
Read in February, 2009

In the early nineties I spent some time in Zimbabwe, and I have always wanted to go back. Although there were hints of instability, mostly having to do with currency exchange, the people were well fed, well educated, and the country was beautiful. I have been looking for an explanation, a reason for the death of that Zimbabwe. The dire news of cholera and economic collapse, the continued spread of political evil...I picked this book up because it covers the late nineties and early part of this millennium.

Peter Godwin tells a complex story about his family, set against the backdrop of Zimbabwe's ruin, and I truly began to understand how this horrible thing could have happened.

Even though I think this is a well written, poignant and fascinating book, a small part of me wanted to read or find a book that wasn't written by a "when-we" (those are the white farmers...called that because they start conversations, "When we had..." I don't know if there is more to the story, or another perspective, but there might be.

This book made me mourn again the fact that the Zimbabwe where I had some of the best experiences of my life, will never really exist again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When a Crocodile Eats the Sun.

02/07/2009 page 35