SOS Aloha's Reviews > Dangerous Waters

Dangerous Waters by Toni Anderson

Nov 14, 2012

Hawaiian Proverb: He ho'okele wa'a no ka la 'ino
"A steersman for a stormy day"
A courageous person

Toni Anderson had to work for this five star review from me as romantic suspense is not my first choice of reading genres. In fact, I tend to shy away from it because I want reading to be a pleasant escape. Yet I requested to review DANGEROUS WATERS because of the Pacific setting, the capable heroine investigating the murder, and the mysterious hero impeding her investigation. Plus the setting, heroine, and hero are Canadian. I have a soft spot for Canadians after working with them at NATO … and the Canadian flavor sets this Romantic Suspense apart from a genre flooded with US military themed thrillers.

The book blurb is on target in describing the plot. This investigation gives Holly two opportunities – to demonstrate her abilities with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and distance herself from her former lover (who failed to mention he was married). Holly is determined to be “above board” as she leads an investigative team into Bamfield - an isolated town on Barkley Sound that harbors many secrets. Her determination is tested when she finds herself attracted to Finn Carver. Despite his stellar career in Special Forces, Holly suspects he is hiding his own secrets. Finn is hiding secrets but does not hide his attraction to Holly. Both show courage in responding to “stormy days” that figuratively hamper the investigation. As with Hawaiian warriors, courage is intuitive and that’s what scared both Holly and Finn – they cannot hide their feelings from the other.

I appreciated Anderson’s vivid descriptions of Barkley Sound – it’s dangerous coast, its stifling isolation, and its rugged charm. Anderson enveloped me into the open diving, marine biology, and smuggling operations that dominate Barkley Sound. Andrew kept my attention to the end with the plot twists akin to the mountainous switchbacks required to access Barkley Sound. I came away with a new appreciation of the RCMP – not just the “Mounties” that are mimicked on TV shows. Anderson gave me hope that I would enjoy romantic suspense.

Recommend read for fans of romantic suspense who are looking for fresh perspective of this popular genre.

I received an ARC from the author for this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Waters.