Lauren's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Nov 14, 2012

liked it
Read in November, 2012

A good enough read. I loved the premise of the book; fighting against the elements and the other castaways to survive in a lifeboat adrift on the Atlantic Ocean, having to make decisions that may go against conscience in order to save your own life. The problem I had with the book is that I could not like Grace Winter. I didn't dislike her, she just didn't seem to have an endearing personality and I was often frustrated with her. Grace is an unemotional woman who from the start is interested only in her own survival, from her marriage to her trial. That's not a bad thing, taking care of yourself, however her own lack of emotion doesn't leave room for much empathy for her. She seemed a little too cold and matter of fact about events such as the fate of her husband, Hardie, and other passengers, as well as her hostile feelings toward Mary Ann. I was also annoyed that the ending didn't satisfy some questions about her husband and his family, and what really happened on the Empress Alexandra in the hours before the ship sank. I liked the book, I just didn't love it, as I had hoped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.