Sal's Reviews > The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East

The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk

2002857
Feb 06, 2009

Read in March, 2009

I spent 5 months reading this 1000+ page book about the conflicts that have ravaged the Middle East over the past 25 years. It wasn't so much the length of the book, but more so the challenge of reading such harrowing and sad stories that somehow seem to hang like a curse over the Middle East. I would read this book a chapter or two at a time (reading a single chapter took me about 3 hours), and then put it down and read another book, as reading all of this at once just would not have been something I would have been able to handle.

With that said, this is without a doubt one of the finest non-fiction books I've ever read. The author, Robert Fisk, is an English journalist who has been at the heart of some of the most devestating confilicts of the last few decades, such as the Iran-Iraq war, the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982, the Israel/Palestine conflict, the civil war in Algeria, and (seemingly worst of all) the American invasion/occupation of Iraq. His accounts of the tragedies are unforgettable, and yet the background and analysis he provides are informative and enlightening. To sum this up...if anyone is interested in the modern Middle East, our (America's) repeated policies of failure in the region, and wants an honest, vivid account of what is REALLY happening there, I can't imagine there being a better book in existance. Kudos to Robert Fisk for this masterwork, and for doing the right thing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great War for Civilisation.