Matt's Reviews > Best of Myles

Best of Myles by Flann O'Brien

bookshelves: essays, nonfiction

The first thing that comes to mind when reading something like this, or the collected Don Marquis, is that I wish there were columnists writing like this today. The closest we've come in my lifetime is probably Dave Barry, and that's not really a great comparison, as Barry's style of humor is very different.

This might have gotten five stars, but I don't like the way they compiled these columns, which they did by theme. Some of the themes feel more forced than others, and they still have 100 pages of "miscellaneous" at the end. I love many of his themes, like the Brother, and Keats & Chapman, but by the time you get to the end of their thematic section they are gone never to crop up again, and often they are better in small doses, which would be better suited to splitting them up throughout as I understand O'Brien did.*

Still great stuff, but I would love it if they organized it in a more organic fashion, closer to how they originally appeared in print.

*I'm referring to him as O'Brien because that appears to be the agreed upon pseudonym under which to sort all of the various pseudonyms used.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Best of Myles.

February 6, 2009 – Shelved