Jennifer's Reviews > Good as Gold

Feb 06, 2009

it was ok
Recommended for: fans of Joseph Heller or satirical looks at Jews in America
Read in February, 2009

I loved Catch-22 so it was a given that I'd read "Good as Gold". This is more about a look at the Jewish experience during what I assume is the 1970s as Bruce Gold attempts to have it all and be all he can be. Have a lovely new wife, career in government and most importantly respect. Of course these things don't come easy and in true Heller fashion the shenanigans ensue with Gold's inability to be faithful to one woman and continue to fall in love on a regular basis and to not understand that there IS prejudice everywhere.

The dialogue is awesome and reminds me of what I loved most about Catch-22 with the sarcasm and seriousness and also consistent contradictions that come from government officials. Especially from the character Ralph as he continues to promise then reneg positions and possibilities to Gold in the same sentence. Awesome.

The last few chapters seem kind of rushed together and of course something tragic has to happen before Gold can realize his life isn't so bad (good, dedicated wife; smart children; large family) that he ends up (hopefully) cleaning up his act. Plus, I felt the overemphasis and one chapter dedicated strictly to Kissinger was a bit much por moi. I think if this book had been cut down by 100 or so pages then it could've been superior to be able to capture everything in a more concise manner. But, Heller remains one of my faves for his satire and realism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good as Gold.

02/06/2009 page 54
02/11/2009 page 250
56.18% "Dialogue is traditional Heller, funny and perceptive of the fallacies of life."
show 1 hidden update…