L's Reviews > A Walk in the Dark

A Walk in the Dark by Gianrico Carofiglio

Feb 06, 2009

bookshelves: mystery

Carofiglio is just so dependable, you know? His writing is so engaging . . . it draws you in without intruding on the story he has to tell. For instance, here are the opening sentences. "You never quit smoking. You give up for a while. Days, months, years. But you never quit completely. Cigarettes are always there, lying in wait." And by the way, this is not just a great opening. The cigarettes do figure in the book.

Characters? Here again, Carofiglio is great. Sister Claudia is great--a bit of a cipher from the get go, but a most interesting one. And Guido? Here is the "sensitive, modern male" we've been told exists. If this book were written by a woman, I'd say he exists only in fiction. But since the author is a man, we know there is at least one man, in Italy, who at least knows what this new man might look like. That suggests there is hope, no?

Oh, there is also a mystery here, a relationship (or two or three, some cooking (by that modern male), and more, much more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Dark.

message 1: by jo (last edited Jun 03, 2009 09:30PM) (new)

jo another italian mystery writer!!!!! why haven't you ever told me about him?!? now i have to wait a year till my mom can bring me his books in the original eye-tie! ach, linda. in what city is this set?

message 2: by L (new) - rated it 4 stars

L I can't recall the city off-hand or find it quickly. Sorry. The back material says the author is an anti-mafia prosecutor in Southern Italy.

message 3: by jo (new)

jo done my own hw. it's bari. have you read other books by him?

message 4: by L (new) - rated it 4 stars

L Yes, I've read at least one more of his books, though I'm not sure which; I am just so bad with names/titles. I'd have to read the short story summaries, you know? The guy is good. You know I've got the book in English and would be happy to share it with you. But you want it in Italian, don't you?

message 5: by jo (new)

jo L wrote: "But you want it in Italian, don't you? "

i think so, yah. you know you can put the books you read on goodreads, right? that way you won't forget that you read them? that's why we do the goodreads, linda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 6: by L (new) - rated it 4 stars

L Of course, Gio, but that only works for the books I've read since I got hooked on Goodreads. All those other ones that have long since left my home, well, they are lost to the mists of time.

Jules I love it!