Lily at Bookluvrs Haven's Reviews > The Uninvited

The Uninvited by Liz Jensen

bookshelves: netgalley

Originally published on Bookluvrs Haven.

Though I am not one that usually judges books by their covers, I do admit that this one caught my eye on NetGalley. It's very simple, yet there is something so undeniably creepy about a child that has that look. A look of evil intent, one could say, and deadly calculation. There is no denying that this novel in its entirety was also meticulously calculated.

I was very excited to begin this read and though I have quite a few that were ahead on my list, I couldn't resist it.

I had some conflicting thoughts as I read through the first half of this book. The incidents of the child killings is what fascinated me the most about the blurb of this novel, yet as the incidents happened in real time, they seemed to be an afterthought as our main character carried on with his investigations into corporate incidents. They were almost dismissed as strange anomalies of little significance, with most of the focus on Hesketh's strange behaviour, fascinations and thoughts. And I did begin to get a little frustrated, even though the corporate incidents were in themselves intriguing with dark elements that I knew were going to be meaningful in this novel.

Needless to say, I am very glad that I stuck this story out. The child attacks begin to become so frequent that they can no longer be denied, and Hesketh begins to form a theory that every investigation of sabotage that he has been involved in, and these strange killings by children are connected. Once his stepson, Freddy, who he is very attached to, begins to behave strangely, I was pulled in and invested 100%.

And it is in this last half of the novel, once it all starts to unravel for our main character, that all the preparation of the first half of the novel becomes crystal clear to me and very much appreciated. Because Hesketh is not your typical 'normal' human being. He has a condition where his behaviour patterns are very different, his reactions to tragedy and violence are not quite the 'norm'. It was at that moment that I was totally appreciative of the, what seemed almost tedious and repetitive, insights into Hesketh, the man. Without it, I would not have fully understood Hesketh's actions once the world began to change. A world where the children that lived in it became strangers and monsters to their loving families, a danger to the world that had been so familiar to the adults inhabiting it. The rules, all of a sudden, change dramatically, and so do the players.

** Arc received from publisher through Netgalley for review **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uninvited.

November 13, 2012 – Shelved
November 13, 2012 – Shelved as: netgalley
December 27, 2012 – Started Reading
January 1, 2013 –
January 1, 2013 –
January 2, 2013 –
30.0% "hmmm not sure on my feelings about this novel yet. It is written in an unexpected point of view, and the children 'incidents' seem to be told in passing... meh....Hope it gets better."
January 2, 2013 –
40.0% "Ok... this is definitely picking up now. Pheww"
January 3, 2013 –
56.0% "Wooooh... this books just kicked it up a huge notch!"
January 4, 2013 –
January 4, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin  Black This book sounds amazing!!!!

Lily at Bookluvrs Haven It was pretty good but u have to stick through it. The first half was a little slow

message 3: by Richa (new) - added it

Richa This looks very interesting....Great review, Lily!! :))

Lily at Bookluvrs Haven Richa wrote: "This looks very interesting....Great review, Lily!! :))"

Thanks Richa. There is no steaminess in this one though. LOL