Crystal's Reviews > The Christmas Pony

The Christmas Pony by Melody Carlson

bookshelves: for-review, 2012, read-nov-2012

I have come to think of reading Ms. Carlson's Christmas books as a tradition and while I have to read them a little early for me in the season, they never fail to bring me good cheer and warm feelings when I read one of them. The Christmas Pony is no exception, in fact I think it's one of her best of the last three years that I have been reading.

The story focuses around a young girl who's family is making it for their small town after the great depression in 1937. All Lucy really wants for Christmas is the pony that is down the road that is for sale of trade, but she knows she probably won't get it. But that doesn't stop her for praying for it. Lucy lives with her Grandmother and widowed Mother and they take in boarders to make extra money so Lucy thinks it's magical when she happens to run into a beautiful woman and a well-dressed man in town that need a place to stay. And that's where the story and the magic start. Getting to know Lucy, George, Miriam and even annoying Veronica make the magic of this book. I adored George and his quiet wisdom and sweet ways with Lucy and Miriam.

Once you start reading this you won't want to put it down, and it's easy to read in an hour or so since it's under 200 pages. The magic of the Christmas season in the book will enthrall you and even though life isn't perfect for this little family you will learn to enjoy the little things right along with them. When I finished the book, I wanted to hug my little family, tell them I love them and carry the magic of The Christmas Pony with us right through Thanksgiving and into Advent and the Christmas season. Ms. Carlson captures the magic of the simple life, love and the spirit of giving so perfectly that you can't help closing this book with a smile on your face even if you are facing troubles in your life.

So I encourage you to grab this book, it's a quick read. It's uplifting, it's romantic, it's sweet. It's nice to see life through the eyes of a child and appreciate things that way. The Christmas Pony is a lovely book that I may just have to read again before Christmas.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Pony.

November 12, 2012 – Started Reading
November 12, 2012 – Shelved
November 12, 2012 – Shelved as: for-review
November 13, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
November 13, 2012 –
page 89
November 13, 2012 – Shelved as: read-nov-2012
November 13, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Carolin (new)

Carolin oh, that seems to be so sweet and magical! And the right book for this weather (at least over here) :)

Crystal Our weather just cooled down, we were in the 70s yesterday, but it is really good so far. Perfect book to put you in the mood for the holidays :) Now if we could only get some snow (a rarity on the NC coast).

message 3: by Carolin (last edited Nov 14, 2012 11:29AM) (new)

Carolin We already had knee-deep snow here in Germany and I like that around Christmas - but not from November to March ;) I think I'll need to look out for this book, it sounds really good.