Katya Zelevinsky's Reviews > Cleopatra's Heir

F 50x66
Feb 05, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in September, 2008

It might have been easy, when faced with a time in history that has inspired as many different theories and books and movies as the end of the Roman Republic, to just coast and fall back on the old tired cliches. But Gillian Bradshaw does not fall into that trap, and instead somehow manages to breathe life into the old myths. In this book, she looks at what might have happened to the son of Julius Caesar and Cleopatra if he had survived Cleopatra's death, and also manages to give us an idea of what his life and upbringing might have been like.

Gillian Bradshaw has an amazing ability to bring characters from a very different time and culture to life, and make the readers care about them. And in this book, she doesn't disappoint. While Island of Ghosts remains my favorite of her books, I definitely recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in exploring ancient cultures. But even if you are not all that interested in history or ancient cultures, and just enjoy reading fun teen romances with interesting, well-rounded characters, I think you should still give this book a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleopatra's Heir.