Adam J. Osterkamp's Reviews > The God Delusion

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

I found this book to be quite freeing. I would have been hesitant to call myself an atheist before reading The God Delusion, mostly because I thought it was just as silly to say that a “creator” certainly doesn’t exist, instead of saying hat a “creator” certainly does. It seemed ignorant to claim a certain knowledge one way or the other.

What I love about this book is that Dawkins not only does a good job showing that all of our world religions are wrong, contradictory, creations of man, but that they can also get in the way of us expanding our understanding of the things around us. This book helped me define atheism and what it means, I suppose. To me, atheism is no longer the staunch denial of a “creator,” but is a set of beliefs that values an understanding of the world around us, and a sense of individual responsibility that doesn’t seem possible with the idea of a creator watching over everything we do.

The other, more profound thing this book has brought into my life, is the grounding realization that this might be my one and only shot at life. What a beautiful, freeing feeling it is. I don’t know that nothing exists after this, but it is a possibility, which means that making the most of this life is more important than it ever has been before. Life, with this understanding, has become so much more unique, so much more rare, and I believe Dawkins’ words have made me a better person.

It is absolutely worth reading, though I did kind of feel like saying, “I get it!” by the end, but perhaps there are people more in need of many, many examples of the great harms the religions of the world have visited upon our existence.

After reading The God Delusion I have no problem calling myself an atheist. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Delusion.

November 12, 2012 – Shelved
December 30, 2012 – Started Reading
December 30, 2012 –
page 186
49.73% "Loving this book so far."
March 18, 2013 –