Heather's Reviews > Graceling

Feb 04, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: teen-lit-and-i-love-it
Read in March, 2009

This was a book I could have loved, except for one very explicit s-e-x scene which killed it for me. And I didn't like the ending. It made me angry so I'm taking it out on the author by only giving it 3 stars.

The story was fairly original and well-done. Great characters and lots of action. It was a bit violent, but I knew that going into it (she's 'graced' with killing, hello!). It wasn't gory though. I liked watching the female character evolve and define who she was. The romance was fun until it got all you-know. I didn't like the 'female power' plugs - women don't need men, you don't need to get married, sleeping around is great, etc. I thought it especially uncool in a teen book.

Not a book I'd recommend to my teen friends nor to my adult friends. That one scene was just a bit much for me. And I'm still pissed about Po.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I love reading your comments!!!!

Heather Thanks, Deanna. I love reading yours too and have found tons of books from what you've written.

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Not only do I like your recommendations, but your reviews make laugh like crazy. I wish I could write like you and express what I thought like you! : )