Lani's Reviews > The Book of Eleanor: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine

The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman

Feb 04, 2009

bookshelves: biography, historicalfiction, chicklit, own
Read in February, 2009

It had been awhile since I'd read a girly historical fiction biography of a queen, and Eleanor is an ancestor of mine who I am woefully uneducated about.

I'm not entirely convinced that I haven't read this book before, but then lots of queens of England have been thrown in towers and abused and betrayed and remarried... It all starts to run together...

Still, Eleanor was a pretty fantastic woman. Of course, in books like this you never know how much of the personality is accurate and how much is modern feminist-infused blather. But I can pretend that this queen was as educated, articulate, and strong-willed as she is portrayed.

The book wasn't a stand out for its genre, and is much like the other similar books that I read and have read. There were a few spots that I remember dragging through, and it is fairly long. But if you're interested in the historical figure, or like the formula of these sorts of books, it is certainly worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Eleanor.