Mary Anne's Reviews > Religion and Immigration: Christian, Jewish, and Muslim Experiences in the United States

Religion and Immigration by Yvonne Yazbeck Haddad

liked it
bookshelves: library, non-fiction, spirituality

I decided to read this book after listening to John Esposito's Great World Religions: Islam series and appreciating all that I learned. I mainly got the book to hear about the immigration of Islam into the United States (as did the person before me, apparently, since there were pencil marks in those chapters) but I feel as though I learned the most through the chapters that addressed immigration and Judaism. I think so little is known about the struggles that Jewish immigrants and their future generations had (and perhaps continue to have, on a smaller scale).

I've seen the other review on this book, and while I can't speak to that because I just don't know, I agree that there's a problem if the authors/editors are dropping the ball on citations.

Overall the book was readable. It helps that the chapters were short and that they covered very different material. I feel as though I've learned so much about the nature of religion in the United States and how it got to be the way it is today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Religion and Immigration.

November 11, 2012 – Started Reading