Rachel Patrick's Reviews > Unravel Me

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shattering. Destroying. Unraveling. Heartbreaking. Steamy. Hot. Painful. Shocking. Stunning. Beautiful. Magnificent. Unravel Me was all that and so much more. It had me going crazy (see: Goodreads status updates), laughing, freaking out--everything. All I know is that I need book three right this second. (But that's not going to happen--we don't even know the title!)

Let me start off with what I didn't like. As was seen in Shatter Me, there's an overdose of certain words and phrases, something that I've been noticing in books lately. In Unravel Me, it's the same as the first book: "gasp." It's used all the time, and too much. Every time Juliette gasped I got annoyed. The other thing that kind of bugged me was her stuttering--where did that come from? But this doesn't really change my view of the book. Why? Because it was so good and just UGH I can't even describe it that the faults--though still annoyances--don't alter the rating.

I have all sorts of feelings for the characters. Anderson, Warner's father, is just a complete ass, and he makes Warner look like a saint. Kenji is HILARIOUS. Like, I love him. So much. He's just so FUNNY. It got to the point where I was laughing out loud and my cousin told me to stop but I just couldn't--let's call it the Kenji Syndrome. Castle--leader of Omega Point--is an okay character to me. He seems nice, and I don't see him going all Coin (Mockingjay) on us. Juliette was...troubled. Sometimes she annoyed me just a little, minute bit, but you have to understand what she's been through. Hell, that's what. Her parents turned her away, she's been in detention centers, prisons, asylums, everything. She thought she could never touch anyone or be touched--can you imagine? Going your whole life without touching another living creature? It'd be torture, and it'd be so lonely. So really, Juliette has reason to complain. Of course, she also has Adam. *happy sigh* I love Adam, I love how he's protective of Juliette, and I love them together--steamy. But of course it's never that simple. (I'll say nothing else because I don't want to spoil it.)

And then there's Warner. After reading Destroy Me, I came to understand him more, learn why he's so horrible. I also started to feel bad for him, to not dislike him so much. Then I read him in Unravel Me, and, dammit, I have feelings for Warner! Now, don't get me wrong--I'm still Team Adam, wanting him with Juliette. But I feel for Warner. Him and Juliette are more alike than I thought, and I don't want to see him hurt and thrown aside. In Shatter Me, I didn't really see Warner/Juliette/Adam as a love triangle. Now I do. There's just something about Warner, and it drives me crazy--I'm not supposed to like him so much, but I do! And the things we find out about him? And Adam? And other people? WOW WOW WOW.

The book itself is full of all kinds of cray cray. Really, it has everything. Death, romance, action, thrills, fear, pain, love, drama--you want it, it probably has it. I want to say so much, but I don't know where to start and I don't want to spoil it. So when you finish Unravel Me, let me know and we'll chat. Because HOLY CRAP. For one, Chapter 69 to the end. That was...I don't even know. What I do know is that I want it in Warner's POV SO BAD. (Tahereh Mafi, if you're reading this, please write it!) It was awesome.

The writing is stunning, written almost like poetry, and I love it. It makes the pace work, just right. It's a great expression of Juliette's thoughts. And it's so different from the way other books are written. I love the writing. Just love it. It's part of what makes this series so darn good. Elegant, flowing--so pretty.

Oh, and Chapter 62? Yes, THE chapter, the one Tahereh so kindly told us about in a video with pomegranates. I will say one thing and one thing only: that may have been one of the hottest scenes I've read in a while.

Unravel Me was unraveling. It answered so many questions yet asked many more. It had twists and turns, shockers and surprises. In fact, steam may have come out of my copy. It killed me, in all the right ways. It kept my love for Adam, yet made feel for Warner. I don't even like this review because I don't think it expresses the FEELS (and pains), so I apologize for not giving you my proper opinion of the book. It's a fantastic sequel, one that makes me starve for the next book in the series. (Can I have it now? PLEASE?!) If you haven't started this series yet, I don't know what you're doing. Although you won't have to wait for all eternity for the next book. Lucky you. I've been shattered, destroyed, and unraveled--what on earth could possibly be next? I'm terrified to know, but the masochist in me is just fine with that. In other words: this book was awesome.

This review was originally posted on my blog Beauty and the Bookshelf.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“The man is moody as hell.”

“I am not moody—”

“Yeah, bro.” Kenji puts his utensils down. “You are moody. It’s always ‘Shut up, Kenji.’ ‘Go to sleep, Kenji.’ ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—”
Tahereh Mafi, Unravel Me

Tahereh Mafi
“And he leans in, so carefully. Breathing
and not breathing and hearts beating
between us and he’s so close, he’s so close and I can’t feel my legs anymore. I can’t feel my fingers or the cold or the emptiness of this room because all I feel is him, everywhere,filling everything and he whispers
“Please.”
He says “Please don’t shoot me for this.”
And he kisses me.
His lips are softer than anything I've ever known, soft like a first snowfall, like biting into cotton candy, like melting and floating and being weightless in water. It’s sweet, it’s
so effortlessly sweet.
And then it changes.
“Oh God—”
He kisses me again, this time stronger,
desperate, like he has to have me, like he’s dying to memorize the feel of my lips against his own. The taste of him is making me crazy; he’s all heat and desire and peppermint and I want more. I've just begun reeling him in, pulling him into me when he breaks away.
He’s breathing like he’s lost his mind andhe’s looking at me like something has brokeninside of him, like he’s woken up to find that
his nightmares were just that, that they never existed, that it was all just a bad dream that felt far too real but now he’s awake and he’s safe and everything is going to be okay and
I’m falling.
I’m falling apart and into his heart and I’m a disaster.”
Tahereh Mafi, Unravel Me

November 11, 2012 – Shelved
February 1, 2013 – Started Reading
February 1, 2013 –
page 1
0.22% "I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62. I will not peek at Chapter 62."
February 1, 2013 –
page 23
4.99% "*fans self*"
page 166
36.01% "I just kicked my legs like a kid throwing a tantrum. DON'T DO THIS TO ME."
page 251
54.45% "What I just did: Rolled around in the fetal position, covering and uncovering my face, yelling things like "OH MY GOSH!" I suspected it, but didn't. I just--I CAN'T. I CAN'T EVEN."
page 392
85.03% "CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO."
page 413
89.59% "I think that was one of the hottest things I've read in a while. OH. MY. GOSH."
February 3, 2013 – Finished Reading