LJ's Reviews > Still Life

Still Life by Louise Penny

Aug 14, 2007

bookshelves: mystery, traditional_mystery, police_procedural, canada, contemporary_post_1945
Read in October, 2006

STILL LIFE (Police Proced-Canada-Cont) – Ex
Penny, Louise – 1st book
Headline, 2005- Hardcover
*** Death brings Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his officers of the Sûreté du Quebec to the small village of Three Pines, Canada. Much-loved Jane Neal has been found dead in the woods. Gamache must determine whether her death was the result of a hunting accident, or deliberate murder.
*** Penny’s debut book is a true, classic traditional mystery. Penny has a wonderful writing voice full of introspection and humor. The captivating opening sentence “Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.” sets the tone for the book. The characters are interesting and well-developed. Gamache, and his side-kick, Jean Guy Beauvoir are ones I definitely felt I want to follow through subsequent outings. Gamache was ethical, even to his own detriment, and his four sentences that lead to wisdom are ones everyone should keep mindfully. The secondary are a wonderful microcosm of people everywhere. The plot was interested taking me along as story unfolded and there is a subtle depth in Penny’s writing that kept the story with me long after the last page. I loved this book, highly recommend it and am already signed up to receive her second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life.

03/22/2016 marked as: read

Chad Sayban I heard about this writer on a podcast and was interested in the series. I'm glad you reviewed it. I'm going to have to go pick up a copy. Thanks!

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJ Hi Chad,

I do suggest reading her in order. I absolutely love her writing.

Enjoy!
LJ

John Johnston LJ - enjoyed your review of book because I have much the same reaction for this book and appreciation for this author and series. I actually started out reading 'Dead Cold" before I realized that I should read 'Still Life" to get to know the characters better. It was a easy transition to read half of Dead Cold and start Still Life and go back to finishing Dead Cold

message 4: by LJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJ Thanks, John. It really is a great series.