Kristin's Reviews > What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist—the Facts of Daily Life in 19th-Century England

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew by Daniel Pool

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own

So...apparently I've been reading this book since November of last year. Yeah. But I would read a bit of it, then set it aside for a couple of weeks (or months), then pick it up again. Though the information in this book is interesting, it's not presented in a very engaging way, which is probably why it took me so long to read it.

I did learn some things and have some of my questions answered. Parts of it were so dull and boring that I skimmed, but others were good: the Private World and the Grim World were the most interesting sections to me. I skimmed through the glossary section...it's not the sort of thing you read straight through, but I'm sure I'll refer back to it while reading classics.

Also, be warned that the author quite often spoils plot points of classics in this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew.

November 11, 2012 – Shelved