Trent Evans's Reviews > Under By Treaty

Under By Treaty by Kayla Stonor

bookshelves: owned, bdsm, torture, non-con, alpha-male-submissive, femdom
Recommended to Trent by: Book Addict
Recommended for: Readers who enjoy strong male submissives, and those not afraid of a little (or a LOT) of pain

Ahem ... is it hot in here? I read this story based on a recommendation from a reviewer that I trust. I'm so glad I did! Let me first say that I don't usually read F/m, as I find the rampant humiliation and sissyfication stuff typically found in this sub-genre just turns me the hell off. (No offense to those who love that though:)

Luckily for me, this story manages to thread the needle so to speak (the male still submits -- utterly -- but he is NOT ground into dust nor treated like a disgusting piece of filth). This difficult feat is accomplished through the use of the alpha submissive concept. Essentially, an alpha submissive can be described as a man who is normally dominant, but during the course of the story one special Domme figures out a way to bend him to her will -- willingly, or otherwise.

I won't rehash all of the plot, as others have already done it quite well. The hero, General Jaden, is a hardened, bad-ass soldier, and the thought of submitting to anyone or anything is as alien to him as the mysterious and deadly invaders who've laid waste to large swathes of a future Earth. Kayla does a good job in setting the stage for what transpires later in the story, firmly establishing that Jaden doesn't submit to anyone willingly.

Enter Sonil, a beautiful, bewitching, and (despite her frequently indulged penchant for dishing out some serious pain), ultimately vulnerable heroine as the Domme. I loved her, and as a dominant male, that takes some doing for me to connect so strongly to a Domme in erotic fiction.

Sonil knows just how far she can push Jaden before he simply breaks. Make no mistake here -- she takes him to the very edge ... and leans him right over the precipice for a good look down. But just when the reader might be overwhelmed with all of his pain and despair (there is quite a bit of both), we start to see that despite Sonil's outward stony strength, Jaden is getting to her too -- on several levels. The climax of the story was definitely unforeseen, but not in a deus ex machina way -- it's organic to the story, and makes sense.

I did have a little bit of trouble with the frequent, short sentences, which occasionally chopped up the flow for me. But, this is entirely a taste thing with me -- I imagine most readers won't be bothered in the least by it. A very, very minor quibble on my part:)

The content and sexual themes of the book are reminiscent of Joey W. Hill's femdom titles, though Kayla takes the BDSM here to another level (in a very HOT way, I might add). Fans of Ms. Hill would be wise to add Kayla Stonor's books to their TBR lists.

Readers should heed well the warnings in the product description -- this is not light BDSM fare by any stretch of the imagination. Kayla fucking BRINGS IT here.

Overall, I thought this was an outstanding book; well-written, thought-provoking, smokin' hot, and ultimately, touching. For those of you willing to take a walk on the dark side of sexuality and experience a journey filled with lust, pain, pleasure, surrender, and love, you will not be disappointed with this story. Definitely recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under By Treaty.

November 10, 2012 – Started Reading
November 10, 2012 – Shelved
November 10, 2012 –
page 97
"I can't stand 95% of femdom (F/m) stuff. There is just too much sissyfication and ridonkulous belittling and humiliation. NOT HOT. That said there is a sub-genre of FemDom that I call Alpha FemDom; the submission (forced or otherwise) of a normally very Alpha male to a strong female. Joey W. Hill IMHO is the progenitor of this sub-genre and nobody has ever come close to equaling her ... until now. Review soon:)"
November 10, 2012 – Shelved as: owned