Samantha's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: funny-satirical
Recommended for: Everyone except those with no sense of humor or those who take the Book of Revelations seriously

Oh. My. God.

This was one of the funniest books I have ever read. The writing was phenomenal and I could see myself and others I know in many of the quirky characters.

Good and Evil's earthly representatives discover that the time for the Apocalyse has arrived and they're not too happy about it. You see, they've grown to like life on Earth. And besides, Evil (with a capital 'E') itself couldn't possibly do worse things to mankind than what mankind does to itself.

And the antichrist's name is Adam, for cryin' out loud! (Not to mention that his trusty sidekick, aptly named "Dog", rather likes being a real dog and doesn't want to go back to being a hellhound; he'd miss the smells!)

My favorite line (and it was a tough decision, believe me!):

"This is how Newton Pulsifer looked as a man: if he went into a phone booth and changed, he might manage to come out looking like Clark Kent."

And don't forget the other Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - especially Treading in Dogshit (formerly All Foreigners Especially the French, formerly Things Not Working Properly Even When You've Given Them a Good Thumping, never actually No Alcohol Lager, briefly Embarrassing Personal Problems, formerly known as Skuzz). By the way, he ended up, after an unfortunate accident, calling himself People Covered in Fish.

I was a little disappointed with the ending, though. It seemed a little too neat and easy. So that's why it didn't get that fifth star from me.

Great book! The friend who suggested Clan of the Cave Bear to me (you know who you are!) has totally redeemed herself with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

Started Reading
August 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
August 14, 2007 – Shelved
October 7, 2007 – Shelved as: funny-satirical

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Alicea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Alicea Ahhh, redeemed...now I can change my Horseman name... Books That Make Sam Wish for A Nasty Eye Infection, So She Doesn't Have to Read Anymore.

-A

Trice I take the book of Revelations very seriously, yet I always find this book absolutely hilarious - it's one of my favorites. Just a note to perhaps temper prejudgement of people...or books. :)

And with Adam at the controls for the ending, can we really be surprised at its neatness?

Actually both Pratchett and Gaiman have a tendency to end their books 'neatly,' but I wouldn't say this in any way detracts from the great experience of reading them. Hope you've had the chance to go on to some of their other writings.

Happy reading!
-t

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige Revelation not Revelations