Leah's Reviews > Masters & Slayers

Masters & Slayers by Bryan Davis

This one is definitely aimed toward specific readers; unfortunately, I am not one of them. Just didn't stir my Kool-Aid. The quality of the storytelling was good - engaging with a smooth pace - but there were [subjective] elements I would've had to actively overlook to enjoy the complete story.

While Masters & Slayers offered a well-written albeit familiar plot, most characters were way too black and white; the "good" guys were SOOO good they felt like characters, not real people.

The multiple mentions of "the Code" and "the Creator" were a little too blunt [for my tastes] - Christian fiction can be written subtlety - and the "lessons" were starting to feel preachy and aimed at the reader rather than Adrian or Marcelle.

Aside from the heavy religious overtones, the contradiction between their medieval-like world and the ability to have cool techs like courier tubes, which require a DNA deposit to open and then play video messages, or the litmus finger, proved too much for me to overlook.

Started and stopped on November 25, 2012. Read through page 170, chapter 10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masters & Slayers.

Finished Reading
November 10, 2012 – Shelved
November 25, 2012 –
page 135
32.53% "I dunno if I'll keep reading. The storytelling is good; it's just, the "good" guys are a little TOO good for my liking. I'll have to let it simmer for a day or two and see if I get the urge to pick it back up."
November 26, 2012 –
page 171
41.2% "Yeah, I'm gonna stop now."