Mary Ann's Reviews > Nikki and Deja: Birthday Blues: Nikki and Deja, Book Two

Nikki and Deja by Karen English

Feb 03, 2009

bookshelves: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, african-american, early-chapter-book, friendship, girls, school-stories

Nikki & Deja are third graders, best friends living next door to each other. Deja can't stop thinking about her birthday party, and Nikki tries to be patient and helpful. But just before her birthday, Deja's aunt leaves on a business trip and Deja has to stay with an eldery neighbor - who cooks turnips and watches a black & white TV! Deja's nemisis from school, Antonia, threatens to ruin Deja's party by throwing her own "just because" party on the same day. Will Deja's party turn out OK -- or will it be the worst birthday ever?

This is a great book in so many ways. Most importantly, I could see myself in all of Deja's dilemmas. I think kids will really relate to how hard it is to feel outdone by a kid at school who's out to get all the other kids to come to her party instead of yours. But also, I'm so happy to have found a book for 2nd and 3rd graders with African American main characters. It's so important to be able to share with our kids books with all different characters - especially ones they can relate to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nikki and Deja.