Sarah's Reviews > MILA 2.0

MILA 2.0 by Debra Driza

did not like it
bookshelves: 2013-debut-author, books-i-own-kindle, edelweiss, did-not-finish, for-review-read, read-in-2013

I want to point out that I don't write proper reviews for books I don't finish reading but since I made so many notes during the first 50% of this book (before I gave up) I thought I'd share them here.

I have to say that I'm in the minority when it comes to this book though, most of my GRs friends enjoyed the story and rated it quite highly. So don't just go on my review if you're trying to decide whether to read it or not - this one obviously just wasn't for me.

There were so many things about the story that didn't make sense and that ruined the book for me. I've hidden my notes saying exactly what bothered me behind a spoiler tag so don't continue further if you've not read the book and don't wish to have the first half spoiled for you.

Beware: Rant ahead!

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read MILA 2.0.

November 9, 2012 – Shelved
November 9, 2012 – Shelved as: 2013-debut-author
November 13, 2012 – Shelved as: books-i-own-kindle
November 13, 2012 – Shelved as: edelweiss
April 26, 2013 – Started Reading
April 26, 2013 –
16.0% "With friends like Kaylee & Parker Mila certainly doesn't need enemies!!!"
April 26, 2013 –
23.0% "I think things are about to get interesting"
April 26, 2013 –
23.0% "I think things are about to get interesting"
April 27, 2013 –
34.0% "I hate to say it but I'm so bored of teenage angst & insta-love :-("
April 27, 2013 –
41.0% "Oh come on bad guys! Surely you can come up with a better reason to knock on their door in the middle of the night than that!! Are you trying to make it obvious?"
April 27, 2013 –
48.0% "If I roll my eyes much harder I'm going to end up with eye strain! This is going beyond ridiculous & stepping right into I couldn't care less what happens next territory. I seriously don't think I can take much more of this :-("
April 27, 2013 –
50.0% "That has to be one of the most ridiculous and completely pointless chase scenes I've EVER read! That's it I'm done - I can't put myself through even 1 more page of this crap!"
April 27, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
April 27, 2013 – Shelved as: did-not-finish
April 27, 2013 – Shelved as: for-review-read
April 27, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Oh, dear... is there a review coming?

Sarah There will be a review sometime next week but it'll probably be a spoiler one so I can include all of my notes

message 3: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Oh, drat, and this is one I am required to review SOON... *sigh*

Sarah I've seen a lot of positive reviews for it so hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I did *fingers crossed*

message 5: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy We'll see.

Sarah I hope you do :-)

Sarah I just posted my review Katy but be warned it's more of a rant and it includes LOTS of spoilers!

message 8: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa Wow. After reading GotG and having basically the same reaction as you did to this I don't think I have it in me to read this one. Great review, love the snark :)

Sarah Thanks, I was a bit worried I'd gone a bit overboard with the snark! Sometimes a book just really hits my buttons though & I cant't help myself LOL.

message 10: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa Nope, perfect amount. And I would know, I'm considered a connoisseur of snark.

message 11: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah LOL well that's good to know :o)

message 12: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Hmm. I see one or two questions that *might* end up being answered in the end of the book. I still have to read it, because it's a Vine book. Let's see how I feel about it. However, I can definitely see why you didn't want to bother finishing! Heh. I won't feel as guilty if this is one I can't finish now... :-)

message 13: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah I'll be very interested to see what you think of it Katy :o) You'll have to let me know if any of my questions end up being answered LOL

message 14: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Didn't I comment on this because I had to read it and we had a whole conversation, or am I thinking of another Sarah? Anyway, I think it was you... as it turns out, Vine removed it from my page because I ordered it between January and last week and with the ToS changeover they were "doing me a favor." The favor would have been to tell me they were backdating the stupid change to January so I would have read those books, but that might have been, I dunno, logical or something. So now I'm no longer obligated to read this book, though, so yay...

message 15: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah We definitely spoke quite a bit about this one so I'm pretty sure it was me you're thinking of :o)

Those vine changes to the ToS don't make much sense do they?! I thought a bit of notice might have come in handy too but that's Amazon for you LOL. If it's the same as the changes they made in the UK you can still review older products (I have a couple of them) but it won't effect anything if you don't review them which is good news. I have to say I prefer the old system where you were under no time limits as long as you had reviewed at least 80% of the products though.

Anyway, does that mean you've now decided to skip this one or are you going to give it a try anyway?

message 16: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Well, I have the book, so I'll eventually read it, but since it's no longer on my review queue for Vine AT ALL, it'll be just like any other book I have that doesn't require a review. Oh, I see the comments (our discussion) now; they weren't showing up on the book page. Weird.

Anyway, yeah, I wrote a long e-mail expressing my dismay over this. They give us six week's notice of the change, do NOT mention AT ALL that they were backdating it to January (!!), and then "graciously" take every single book I had from between January and March off my list. When I wrote to complain, they took the last two off, too, which was NOT what I was asking about, because I have just bought FIVE BOOKS to complete the series of which those two books were a part... Grrrrr.

On the other hand, with everything else moved to an 'optional' page, I can move on to other things now, and am starting with a fresh slate for Vine. I'm just really aggravated about the whole thing. I probably should have spoken up right when I received the notice back at the beginning of April, but I had 43 books and six weeks... I thought I could do it. I didn't count on the fact that so many of them were part of a series. I had 30 books left on the 16th.

The time limit, as I told them, is really unrealistic. First of all, if they require 100 percent reviewed, as soon as you request a book you are no longer at 100 percent, so how can they tell us we can take two? Then the next week, the 2nd offer... I don't know about you, but the books arrive on either Monday or Wednesday following when I request them on Thursday, so there is NO WAY I could read them in time for the next week's newsletter. Okay, so maybe they don't put the 100 percent limit until after 30 days. Fine. But how many of their reviewers read four books in a month? I imagine a lot of us do, but not everyone.

I figure it's because publishers were complaining that they provided these ARCs but they weren't being read prior to publication. I have books I requested in 2011 that I haven't read yet. I can understand their frustration. BUT... okay, so they have a rash of pre-release reviews, but how about 2 years down the line when sales have slowed? Wouldn't it be good to have those reviews still rolling in from those of us who are a little slow, or were distracted by other things we needed to do?

So, yeah, the whole thing is just a bad situation. Did you write them to express your concerns? If a lot of us did, I think maybe they will rethink it.

Sorry for the long ramble! I'm just annoyed about this whole thing... :-)

message 17: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah My friend & I didn't even get notice that it was going to be changing! The first I heard about it was when my friend texted me to tell me that it had all changed & she only found out about it after it had all happened. I really think they could have done a better job of telling us what was going on so we'd be able to plan ahead.

I haven't bothered to write and complain but perhaps I should think about it. I was lucky because I don't have a lot of outstanding books on Vine. I have 5 that no longer have to be reviewed plus 2 more that now have a time limit on them. 1 is due to be reviewed within 8 days (which means after the next newsletter so I don't have to rush LOL) and one has 17 days before I need to get to it. If I had more outstanding reviews it would definitely have been a problem though.

I can kind of understand why they want us to review everything but like you said I don't think 30 days gives us much time to work with. I really liked the 80% rule because then you were still able to read the books you were in the mood for as long as you had reviewed the majority of what you had. I have a couple of books that I requested about a year ago that I just haven't felt like reading yet but I do want to read them at some point. If I forced myself to pick them up now then I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much and they'd end up with a more negative review which doesn't help the publisher in the long run.

The whole thing is annoying but I guess it will mean that we only request things we really want from now onwards LOL. I'll get used to it in time - it was just quite a surprise when I found out this week LOL

message 18: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy They sent an e-mail right at the start of April, which is how I knew, and I immediately started trying to work through them. I do NOT like the time rule; it seems to assume we have nothing else to read, you know? I really hope they'll remove that and return us to a more sensible level. And yes, I'll definitely NOT be requesting books I'm only somewhat interested in anymore, which is a shame because I've found some excellent authors that way...

message 19: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah I never got the email so it all came as a shock this week LOL. I've found some great new authors and series through vine too but I'm going to be much more wary requesting titles now which is a shame :o(

message 20: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Something which you can point out in your e-mail... :-)

message 21: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah LOL that's a good point :o)

message 22: by Erica Martin (new)

Erica Martin Best. Review. Ever.

message 23: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star