Dina's Reviews > Branded by Fire

1918270
Feb 03, 2009

bookshelves: series-psy-changeling, paranormal-romance, to-blog
Read in July, 2009

I've been struggling with this review since yesterday, trying to figure out why this book didn't earn a 5-star rating from me. I loved Riley, I liked Mercy, I enjoyed the plot and the new developments in the series' story arc - especially the introduction of Bowen, a new secondary character with all the signs of a future hero - and, last but not least, Hawke (oh, how I love thee!) had some major scenes that had me drooling all over the pages. So what was "wrong" with this latest installment in the Psy-Changeling series?

After some pondering, I finally nailed it... I'm afraid to say Riley and Mercy's relationship didn't work too well for me. I mean, they fit each other, I was happy to see them together and, always a plus, their love scenes were hot, but here's the problem: there was no sexual tension and no real build-up to their relationship. They were doing the "panting and sweating" right from the start - and what a 1st Chapter that was, let me tell you! - and, while I understood the reasoning behind it, it ended up "killing" the fun of watching them finding their HEA. The old saying is true, anticipation heightens the pleasure... Judd and Brenna took forever to have their 1st love scene in Caressed By Ice and, boy, when they did... wow, get me a bucket of ice! But I digress... The thing is, I prefer seeing my H/h working their way towards a sexual relationship, so the Changeling-Changeling pairing in Branded by Fire fell kind of flat.

Everything else was perfect, including the darn twist Ms. Singh gave to Hawke and Sienna's relationship, and I'm still a devoted fan of the Psy-Changeling series. I'm a bit wary of the next book, Blaze of Memory, because I still can't picture Dev Santos, a secondary character who only appeared in Mine to Possess so far, as the hero but, WTH, I trust Ms. Singh to make it work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Branded by Fire.

07/30 page 1
0.29% "It's arrived!!! Okay, all phones are disconnected, I'm shutting off my computer and I'm "dead" to the world until I finish this!" 3 comments
07/30 page 151
43.77% "Loving it! But I need to stop and have dinner, dammit!" 2 comments
07/30 page 195
56.52% "Tsk tsk, Mercy, you're acting like a fool..." 2 comments
07/31 page 308
89.28% "I'm in love with Riley!"
01/15 marked as: read

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Dina!
I agree with you, there's something about the build up between the H/H that makes it better for the reader, it's almost a killjoy if that's all there doing is jumping in the shack

Corrine but here's the problem: there was no sexual tension and no real build-up to their relationship

I agree, 100%. That's why it didn't get 5 from me either.

Shawna I'm just starting the first book in this series and have a feeling I'm gonna be hooked!

Dina Thanks, Rane and Corrine! I'm glad to see I'm not alone in feeling that something was missing in Riley and Mercy's relationship. I was afraid people would start throwing rotten vegetables at me, LOL.

Shawna, I absolutely LOVE this series and reread these books twice a year. Every time a new book is released, here I go. :)

Aimie Good review. I too love Hawke. I'm finding it a struggle pacing my self, I just want to get to his book now. Lol

Dina Thanks, Aimie! Why pace yourself and suffer? Go for it, you won't regret it. ;)

message 7: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve I so agree with u on your feeling for hawke and sienna. it was like on the long way to heaven someone lifted me up high and got me glimpse of it from inside !!! cant wait to get to their story.

Dina I luuurved Hawke and Sienna's story. I hope you do too. :)

message 9: by Hem_Ana (new)

Hem_Ana Great review Dina. I often wondered the same thing, but this kind of book feel flat to me as well. And I generally dont finish reading them, leaving it in the middle. Very good review..

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Thanks, Hem_Ana! I'm a big fan of this series, so I couldn't leave the book in the middle and liked it when all was said and done. But as I said, I'm a big fan of the series and possibly biased. ;)