Sonia Fogal's Reviews > The Wildman

The Wildman by Rick Hautala

This was my first Rick Hautala book but it won’t be my last. It is a compelling story that made my eyes water, made me gasp and put my hand on my mouth with a couple of plot twists that I didn’t see coming, and made me read faster because I couldn’t wait to see what happened next.

The Wildman is classified as horror but if you’re looking for blood and gore this one isn’t for you. If you’re looking for a story that gets you in the head of the target of a mad man then this one is for you. Jeff has been haunted by the memory of a tragic event that took place at summer camp over 30 years ago. When he gets the chance to reunite with friends from that camp he doesn’t have a lot of interest in going but the memory of the tragedy pulls him back in spite of his reluctance.

The first part of the story is full of pieces to which we can all relate. He tries to see the child in the adult faces. Tries to see the child in the adult personalities. He thinks about what may be between the lines of what each of his friends says and does. Half way through the book the story takes a tragic turn.

The author starts and ends the book with a discussion about the fact that no story really has a single starting point or ending point. This story, for example, started 35 years ago at summer camp. But really it started even before that when each of the boys’ lives began. And you could continue this path indefinitely. The tragic turn of the story is related to the childhood tragedy. It’s a believable turn of events, which adds to the fear and anxiety created in the story. Jeff questions what he sees, feels, hears, senses in a terrifying course of events. He doesn’t know what’s real and what’s just in his head and since we are in his head, neither do we.

I have only two criticisms of this page-turner. Descriptions of Jeff’s wonderings about the minds and motives of his friends goes on a little long for my taste sometimes. And while the last couple of chapters are very good I felt like it was a bit drawn out as well. I believe that part of the point of that was that to the main character the events of those couple of chapters felt like an eternity although they were only a few hours of his life. But I wanted things to move along a little more quickly than they did.

All in all I recommend this book if you enjoy suspense. It’s a very enjoyable, entertaining read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wildman.

November 7, 2012 – Shelved
November 12, 2012 – Started Reading
November 15, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by David (new)

David Fleming Great review. It's good to meet you, Sonia!

Sonia Fogal Thank you, David! Nice to meet you too.