Danika's Reviews > Poison Study

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

12982077
Nov 07, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-own, favourites, top-13-of-2013

Amazing! I can't find anything to dislike. So I'm not even going to split it up in my normal "strong points" and "what I didn't like". This review will consist mainly of me raving about how much I love this book.

1. Characters: I was able to sympathize with Yelena, which was really important. If you have a bad heroine or hero, you have a bad book (sort of). I also loved all the more minor characters, like Janco, Ari, Dilana, Rand, Margg, Maren, and of course, Valek (more of a major character but...). Plus I loved Irys.
2. Villains: I HATED THE VILLAINS. And that is very high praise, because the bad guys need to be real if you are to sympathize with main character. I wanted to tear Reyad's throat out! He made me so, so, so mad. I am very glad Yelena killed him. I also thought more minor villains like Mogkan, Nix, and Brazell added a lot to the story as well. But Reyad... (view spoiler)
3. Suspense: This book had so much foreshadowing and suspense, and amazing build-up! What is the criollo? What is the buzzing sound that comes out of Yelena's mouth? Who is betraying Valek? And most of all, why did Yelena kill Reyad?
4. And that is going to have a point all to itself. I loved how we were slowly revealed little flashbacks or details about her life with him and Brazell, then finally leading up to the night she killed him. The incorporation of Reyad's ghost was a good way to prompt the flashbacks. I wanted to know more! It made the novel really dark, suspenseful, and twisty.
5. World-building: I loveeeeee Maria V. Snyder's medieval-ish world. I don't really know the time period, whether the future or past, or if it is another realm (which is what it seems like to me), but I loved the setting and the castle, because ohmygosh I love books set in castles or medieval-ish times!
6. Whoa! Interesting twist. Didn't see THAT coming. (view spoiler)
7. This book made me feel something. I feel like I've just been going through the motions a bit with the past books but this one actually made me so angry I wanted to smash something or throw the book across the room. There were also times I wanted to jump up and down because something I wanted to happened (*cough* I may have actually done that). There were also times where I did laugh because some of the characters made me laugh. :)
8. Action packed!!! There were a lot of fight scenes that were interesting to read about. I was always wondering how Yelena was going to get out of another battle.
9. Though not all of it was action, I never got bored, unlike many other books. I also liked how it was consistent, not interesting at the beginning and a battle at the end. The whole way through, it was awesome, and the fights were sprinkled throughout.
10. I'm just going to stress the fact of how strong of a character Yelena is again. Yes, she can actually think, fight, and climb trees. Oh, and evade about 3 people plus a bunch of soldiers that want her killed. Yeah.

Please. Read this book. I've heard many people say the series goes downhill, or should be an adult book rather than marketed as young adult, but I don't really think it takes away at all. If it was shelved as YA, many young adults would shy away from a book they might've absolutely loved. But I see where others are coming from for sure.

5/5 stars.

***I found one weakness! Now I'm in a reading slump because this book was so good that nothing compares.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Study.

Quotes Danika Liked

Maria V. Snyder
“Trusting is hard. Knowing who to trust, even harder.”
Maria V. Snyder, Poison Study

November 7, 2012 – Shelved
January 18, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-own
January 19, 2013 – Started Reading
January 20, 2013 –
page 185
45.23% "Amazing. Just amazing."
January 20, 2013 –
page 228
55.75% "There are so many other things I should've been doing... but this book has me in a grip and it won't let go."
January 21, 2013 –
page 347
84.84% "Need. To. Read."
January 22, 2013 –
page 382
93.4% "This is insanity. I need to find the time to finish this. It's SO GOOD. :O"
January 22, 2013 – Finished Reading