Gina's Reviews > The Accidental Sorcerer

The Accidental Sorcerer by K.E. Mills

Feb 01, 2009

bookshelves: action, adventure, fantasy, mystery, own, paranormal-supernatural, suspense
Read in February, 2009 , read count: 1

Can Gerald get into any more trouble?

As a compliance officer (on probation) for the Department of Thaumaturgy, Gerald Dunwoody heads to Stuttley’s Superior Staff factory for a snap inspection. Seems that the safety statements, that are supposed to be witnessed and signed, haven’t been sent in for the last two months, which is a breach of regulations. But while there, an accident occurs, and Gerald is being blamed.

Fired, he slips a little into a depression, sure that he won’t find another, not for a while at least, until the factory debackle has died down. But his friend, Monk, spots what could potentially be a job for him. Seems the king of New Ottosland is looking for a court wizard. At this point, Gerald would be happy to get anything. And off he goes.

But things aren’t what they seem. In any aspect. Something happened to Gerald in that factory, and now he can do things that even most First Grade wizards can’t. And by doing something he didn’t think he could do, he unwittingly put himself in a position that he’ll only be able to get out of by the skin of his teeth.

Princess Melissandre is smarter than most give her credit for. She’s deliberately made herself look frumpy; she refuses to end up anything like the long list of Princess Melissandres before her. But as the sister of the king, she’s blind to that Lional is truly up to.

Seems Prince Rupert is also hiding behind a mask. Acting like the dim-witted little brother obsessed with butterflies, he knows a lot more than anyone would think. But to reveal what he knows could put him in harms way.

And King Lional… he wants to take New Ottosland to heigher heights than the previous kings before him. He has ‘visions’ of New Ottosland being a land to be reckoned with. He wants to take New Ottosland out of their relaxed and out-dated traditions and rise to the top. And the way he’s going about it is all wrong. See, King Lional has gone mad. He wanted so much to be a wizard since he was a kid, and has become obsessed with what he wants. No one truly understand at what lengths he’ll go to, and Gerald learns it quickly - the hard way.

But will Gerald be strong enough to stop him?

I enjoyed this story. At first, I thought the story would be a fun, light read, something to breeze through on the way to the next novel. How wrong was I! Deep-seated feelings, thoughts, plot twists, things you never saw coming. Characters who aren’t what they appear to be. Action, drama, mystery, the dialogue isn’t simple, thoughts aren’t simple, actions aren’t simple.

A few things bugged me a little, though. For instance, King Lional. Seemed like a typical king as I’ve read before. Demanding, superior, arrogant, just like a lot of kings are, but you get a sense right away that something isn’t right, and it bugged me a little that no one could see it. A brother and sister blind to it, okay, I get that. Staff and servants stay way from it, I get that too. Gerald spots something’s off, and yet no one has a clue? All those missing wizards and not one thing is done about it? Wizards leaving messages that they’re going off, but to never been seen or heard from again? How can people be that blind?

I found Gerald to be a little naive and under confident of himself. It felt like he really didn’t have any idea on how to conduct himself, how to be with other people. I mean, sure, the whole job as a court wizard is new to him, but his uncomfortableness around other people made me feel uncomfortable, and I really didn’t like that.

But, in the end, Gerald really does redeem himself, doesn’t he? No matter how scared he was, he fought to the finish; he used his fear to beat his opponent, and a job well done. I think anyone who swears an oath to do no harm, and that choice is taken away from him, would be down on himself, but I think he’ll become stronger for it.

Reg - delightful bird, isn’t she, LMAO?! Oh, she had me in stitches that one. Her comments, her views, how she really doesn’t care of your status… excellent characters - for a bird.

LOL, and I can’t help but wonder if a little ’something-something’ is going to happen between Melissandre and Monk…
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental Sorcerer.

02/01/2009 page 32