Melanie's Reviews > Pretty Poison

Pretty Poison by Aimee Nicole Walker

F 50x66

Pretty Poison is an emotional journey and an extraordinary story.

I’ll start my review much the same as the author did. With trigger warnings.

Pretty Poison deals with some very traumatic issues. The main character of Rocky continues to suffer from PTSD, the emotional damage he carries deep from the trauma inflicted from a murder-suicide that occurred while he was on a case. That case and all that occurs happens in the Prologue. And while it’s not overly graphic, it’s emotionally disturbing enough to cause distress or harm for those people for whom it’s a trigger and anyone that might feel anxiety. That is something Rocky is also dealing with.

Pretty Poison is full of serious elements that get a extremely thorough examination without it feeling like a scientific lecture. In Mr Perfect, we learned of Rocky’s husband and a mention of Vegas wedding. But now we get to see the events that brought Rocky and his husband together but also devastated their marriage and his career.

It’s the detritus of a broken marriage that’s strewn across chapters as we learn , bit by bit, everything that tore them apart, just as the current case is bringing them back together.

Just a masterful job of characterization and writing.

In between we also have the ongoing heartbreak of knowing that Miss Marla is dying and the community is doing everything they can not to mourn as she’s asked. She’s still the fabulous heart of this series and the one the men turn to for hugs, love, irreverent advice,and an amazing casserole.

The case of Tess Hamilton that the men are investigating is as fascinating and labyrinthine as the others. It’s full of implications for each man’s past, reflections on redemption and forgiveness, and the ability to recover and heal to move forward.

Pretty Poison is an emotional journey and an extraordinary story. It’s an incredibly gratifying way to wrap up the Sinister in Savannah trilogy. Even more so since the author has promised to revisit this universe with stories for characters we met in each of the three novels who also deserve further attention.

I can’t wait. But I’m so happy to leave the men, their partners and Miss Marla here, in Savannah at this point in time.

This is a truly amazing series and shouldn’t be missed. Read them in the order they were written for the character, and series arc development.

I’m highly recommending all three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Poison.

January 23, 2022 – Started Reading