Melanie's Reviews > The Lady Under the Lake

The Lady Under the Lake by E.J.   Russell

F 50x66

great plot, outstanding characters, love this!

There’s just so much to love about this third installment in Russell’s Quest Investigations series! It’s even more convoluted then ever with all the supernatural laws and politics involved, that’s not even looking at all the individuals who have major parts to play at the drama here.

This is mega supernatural melodrama… with all that entails. Some comedy, usually supplied by the antics of Jordan and his Hellhound Doop. But here there’s also some real tragedy and trauma to digest. The characters who have come to Matt as well as those around him, are dealing with incredibly painful memories and emotionally damaging issues.

Domestic violence and spousal abuse that’s an assumed right due to tradition and species. Child abuse, abandonment, and kidnapping are major elements of this tale.

Note: descriptions of past events for the above.

From one request to find a child, sets off an explosion of old traumatic memories and new repercussions that effects so many Matt has ties with.

The writing is crisp, the action swift paced, characterizations outstanding, and a tale packed full of the full range of emotions.

The humor is there. But so many scenes that will move you. One of a dust filled room, tiny cradle will surely have you in tears.

As always, I’m left wanting more. I’d probably be thrilled if these stories were 300k longer as I’d linger in each room, wanting more dialogue and exposition.

Ah well, guess I’ll have to be satisfied with the next novel coming in March!

I’m happily recommending this story but read the entire series in the order it’s written for relationship development and overall series arc plot line. It’s amazing.

Plus it’s all part of the author’s Mythmatched universe. So it helps to have read those stories beforehand for some background knowledge if possible.

If not, there’s an entire universe to explore as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady Under the Lake.

January 23, 2022 – Started Reading