Kristal's Reviews > Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond

Into the Woods by Kim Harrison

Nov 06, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, urban-fantasy
Read from October 28 to November 05, 2012

Although I am a huge fan of The Hollows series, this was my first anthology by Kim Harrison. I did enjoy the vignettes of the characters that I have come to love and I was especially delighted with the stories that involved characters outside the world of The Hollows. I believe that a few of these have the potential of becoming excellent material for future series.

The Bespelled: Explores some of the background of Alagaliarept and how Ceri became his familiar.

Two Ghost for Sister Rachel: Rachel is 18 years old and wanting to get into the I.S. But her brother Robbie doesn't think it is a good idea with all the sickness Rachel has experienced as a child. He makes a bet with her and in the process, Pierce appears.

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil: Explores the earlier days of Ivy and Kisten and how each must deal with the ever-present hand of Piscary.

Dirty Magic: Mia the banshee must learn how to protect her daughter Holly and make sacrifices that only a mother would understand.

The Bridges of Eden Park: Rachel and Kisten try to enjoy a day in the park, but seems that the inhabitants of Cinnci have other plans.

Ley Line Drifter: A fun story with Jenks and Bis on an assignment.

Million-dollar Baby: An explanation of the elf quest that Jenks and Trent went on in Pale Demon . One of the longer stories but well worth it.

BEYOND THE HOLLOWS

Pet Shop Boys: While Cooper could get a job somewhere else, he continues to stay at the pet store. He had hoped that he might get to hook up with the owner, Kay, but she always seems to brush him off. So when a beautiful red-head walks in to find a pet for her little girl, Cooper can't resist when she asks him out. Unfortunately for Cooper, it might be his last night out!!

Temson Estates: Will arrives in England to finalize his grandfather's estate and sign the papers giving him full rights to the massive forest that belonged to his grandfather. But his aunt seems to have other plans and begs Will to visit with her for one day in the forest. Thinking he has nothing to lose on giving the old woman a delight for one day, Will finds himself immersed in a mystery older than time itself.
This one fell a little flat for me.

Spider Silk: Emily lives with her daughter Lilly and her two granddaughters, Meg and Em, in a old rambling farmhouse on the edge of the woods. Emily has long ago told Lilly bedtime stories about Penn but now Lilly starts to wonder if her mother's state of mind is declining due to old age. Emily insist that she and Lilly must protect Meg from Penn since she is the oldest daughter. Lilly soon discovers that her mother isn't just all about bedtime stories and she finds herself asking just how far she will go to protect both her daughters.
This one was one of my favorites! I would truly enjoy seeing this transform into a series.

Grace: Grace, her dog Hoc and her partner are on an assignment to bring in a throw. But the young thrower has powers greater than she realizes and after attempting to kill her dog, Grace finds herself faced with having to work with her ex-lover to help bring the young person in for The Strand, the place where they bring in all the throwers to have them evaluated.
This one was almost border-line science fiction but very enjoyable. I would love to see this one become a full-length novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Woods.

02/29/2016 marked as: read