Payam's Reviews > The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism

The Charisma Myth by Olivia Fox Cabane

liked it

Note, I listened to the audiobook vs. reading the book.

The book stays the point and delivers in what it promises regarding the science of personal magnetism. It presents the multiple styles of chrisma, details each chrisma, and dwells into how one can use it within their own lives. The book is detailed and gives you a strong understanding of the different actions a charismatic person uses. Unfortunately, the detailed nature of the book is its own demise.

In the book "7 habits of highly successful people", the author states that there are numerous books that are focusing on "personality improvement" vs. "character improvement". To the author, personality improvement are quick fixes to problems and only create the shadow of a person with the desired personality. As such, the author believes that focus should be placed deeper down on the character. Personality stems from the character of the individual, and focusing on personality is not as effective as on the character. This is what I accept as well.

"The Charisma Myth" focuses on the personality of the individual and never changes any part of the individual's character. It has numerous quick fixes to problems, but never gives core principles to carry away. It is difficult to remember the quick fixes mentioned in the book. It would have been more effective if the author presented core principles with quick fixes for each principle. In this way, you can take away the principles with you.

Having said that, I did listen to this book rather than read it. This has an inherent impact on the absorption of the material. It may simply be the case that reading the book will be more effective and you will remember more of it. In either case, I still recommend this book to get the overall picture of a charismatic individual.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Charisma Myth.

Started Reading
November 4, 2012 – Finished Reading
November 5, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Churchill She does present some basic principals: power, presence, and warmth. Presence is self explanitory, power answers the question, "what can he/she do for me?" and warmth answers the question, "friend or foe?" The rest is mostly personality ethic, which can be useful if the character is already sound.

message 2: by Alaa (new)

Alaa Jerbi I agree with you,I had read "The 7 habits of highly effective people" and I believe the same way as you and the author, the book is a quick fix book that is used for just a good meeting or first impression not long term relationships, because in those, character is what matters most!