Melanie's Reviews > Ride the Lightning

Ride the Lightning by Aimee Nicole Walker

F 50x66

outstanding story and mystery

Rating: 4.75 🌈

I’ve always found Aimee Nicole Walker to be an excellent author so I was happy to find a series of hers I hadn’t read yet. From just the first book I’m in for an outstanding , exciting journey!

Ride the Lightning is the first novel in Walker’s Sinister in Savannah series and it’s amazing. Located in the historic southern city of Savjannah, Georgia, the author makes full use of Savannah’s well known haunts and southern charm as a solid foundation for her characters and their lives which are as deeply seated within that community.

Sinister in Savannah is a crime podcast run by three friends, one of which is Jonas St Johns , a criminal analyst for the Georgia Bureau of Investigations.

Jonas is truly a mesmerizing character. Tall, scarred , highly intelligent, and haunted by his past, Jonas is half the heart of this story. The other half? That belongs, not to the romantic interest, although he’s quite wonderful, but to Jonas’ neighbor, Marla.

Marla, the magnificent drag queen, who let Jonas into her life and now has some decidedly serious favors to ask of him.

Marla and her pug, Betty (named after the fabulous Betty White of course) are everything! She’s captivating, poignant, flamboyant, and magnificent. It’s her touching, intimate, close relationship with Jonas that immediately connects the reader to them and this story. Within that duo , and then within Jonas’ house, we see a odd but wonderful found family start establishing itself.

There’s Kendall, Jonas’s roommate, Avery, the love interest and Jonas’ intern, Felix and Rocky, the other two men who run the podcast with him. By the time the story has ended , the found family and community has swelled around him, due in part to the murder mystery he was asked to investigate.

The old murder mystery touches off all types of revelations and reverberations. Including ones that bring up old memories that have traumatized Jonas for years.

This story is about growth and healing as it is about leaving and letting go.

And found families and forgiveness.

I’m so happy to have found this novel, new characters and series. It’s such a joy to have been on this first journey with Marla . How I love her.

I can’t wait for you all to meet her and everyone else here. I’m highly recommending this story.

And I’m onto the next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ride the Lightning.

January 21, 2022 – Started Reading