Megan's Reviews > The Wife

The Wife by Sigrid Undset

Jan 31, 2009

Read in February, 2009

These books are so well written its become a bit too easy for me to feel like Kristin and Erlend are real people. I've been irritated with the rash impulsive actions of Erlend all week. After he went to prison for treason I had to take a break and spend some time reading a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt instead.
The novel is written in a stream of consciousness so the reader dips in and out of several characters thoughts, making each one more complex. As I read I am gripped by how true and real these characters have become to me. I am sympathetic towards Kristin's inability to find peace, and deeply moved by her father's piety. Erlend endlessly frustrates with his hasty actions. And Simon Darre? Poor Simon, poor, poor Simon.

Really I can't write a full or true review of these until I've read "The Cross" and know the full fate of all these people.

The other wonderful part of the book is the way it speaks to the lasting truth of human nature, some things we do we have always done and will probably always do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wife.